Have you let Apple hold some "authorization fee" when you purchase products?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chaoszcat, Mar 9, 2010.

1. chaoszcat macrumors newbie

Last Thursday I ordered a new Macbook Pro from Apple store :)
    At first it would be a very happy moment.

But just on the next day morning, Apple hold S$1 and S$318 from my account. I called Apple, they said it's some sort of card authorization fee and they will reverse the money back to my account asap.

So today is the 5th day of long waiting but the money is still in the holding status. I had made calls to my bank twice and Apple 4 times..., bank said they have nothing to do with the holding, while Apple told me it's still in the process and ask me to wait..

Just wanted to know is there any Term and Condition on Apple Store, saying that they would deduct this lump sum of money from the buyer?

Pretty annoyed by this problem, when I only left $7 dollar available with me now... :'( They caused me a lot of troubles now :(

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Try to contact Apple Customer support and see what they have to say.

It's quite strange though, but did you use the Online Store?
    If so, that might be the answer.

3. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

authorization charges are normal

it should take about 5 business days, it has only been 3 since your order. Give it a few more days.

4. chaoszcat thread starter macrumors newbie

So the attachment is the screenshot of my bank statement on 5th March 2010. Notice that on 4th March there is a $1.00 deduction, while on 5th March, there is this $318 deduction, left me with $34 dollar in my bank...

I had made calls to Apple, and they just ask me to wait for 3 to 5 working days. So I am out of money, and who are in wrong??

Attached Files:

5. chaoszcat thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, thanks :)
    But why $318? I cannot find any Term and condition regarding this issue. This costs too much to me :(

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you track your order at the Apple Store, does it show them charging you the $318, perhaps for an additional item?

When I bought my MBP and printer, the MBP shipped a day before the printer, so I have two separate charges, like yours shows.

Buying with debit cards can be such a hassle. Even if a company promptly clears/reverses a charge (like the $1), banks can take 3-5 additional days to return the money to your account. :( (in the US, anyway)

7. chaoszcat thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, no!

I have proof! :)

Btw, I had called them 4 times. They all say the $319 will return to me in 3 to 5 business day. So I had heard this since 5th of March...

Now I have to borrow some money from my friends just because of this. I cannot live with $4 dollar for another 5 business day. They are just irresponsible :(

This guy got $10,000 deducted.. http://www.epinions.com/content_114497195652

Attached Files:

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Do banks in Singapore post transactions on the weekends?

Weird about the $318.

9. chaoszcat thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple says: "We have sent this request to our finance department and the amount of $319 should reflect in your account in 3 to 5 business day" - I heard this on 5th March (Friday), 8th March (Monday) twice, and 10th (Today).

Bank says: "It's still marked as holding in our side. You have to call the company to send us a notification to void these fee."

When I ask why $319? Apple just said this is an authorization charges and will return to me bla bla bla.... But I thought the charge should be the $1 on 4th March?

So... why I am the one who take all these suffers... :confused:

10. chaoszcat thread starter macrumors newbie

So why don't Apple settle this $319? Clearly the $2166 has been taken. (and I really left with $4 dollar :()

Attached Files:

• bank.gif
      bank.gif
      File size:
      20.2 KB
      Views:
  11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Since only Apple can answer this question, why don't you call them up and specifically ask at what stage of the process your refund is? I suppose since it hasn't been 5 days yet, they may try to tell you to call back, but I bet if you're insistent, they can do some work and tell you now.

This situation is exactly why I don't use my debit card for online purchases.

12. mysticbluebmw macrumors regular

Based on your sales tax rate of 7.0%, it's clear the $318 is the 2nd item on your receipt, including sales tax. It looks like Apple charged you TWICE for that. This is why it has gone to their finance dept. I would expect this to take at least a few BUSINESS (M-F) days longer to sort out. Your best bet in to call your bank again, and tell them you have been double charged, and Apple is not acting in a fair and quick matter to resolve the situation. I don't know your bank, but I have had similar dealings with BofA and have seen my money within 24 hours (a temp reversal - made permanent usually within a week or two). Good luck.

13. chaoszcat thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh thanks for pointing it out, now I only realize why the amount is $318. So this is sort of a technical problem or a normal procedure?

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's a pending transaction, your bank probably won't do anything until it posts, if it even does. The auth may just expire and go away in a couple days.

FWIW, that's why I recommend using credit cards for big purchases like this. That way, you're not out extra money in case something like this happens and as long as you pay your credit card in full before the bill is due, you won't pay interest.

15. chaoszcat thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah thanks. Would learn from that. No one has told me about this issue, and I thought it would just to be a straight transaction.

And I am still a student who has just earned this amount of money to replace my 3.5-years-old macbook. Also I am not eligible for any credit card applications yet. This is my only debit card and I thought Apple won't do any harms to me :(