iPad Pro Have you noticed any difference having 4gb of ram?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ghost31, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

if 2 gb in the air 2 was cool, 4gb has to be better right? Right?!

2. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

3. Ghost31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ghost31

That reply was bound to come at some point. I'll take it

4. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Seriously though, Fewer background apps getting closed due to insufficient RAM. I'd imagine it also helps with video editing and split screen multitasking.

5. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Pretty much this, for the most part. I personally don't really push my iPads much in the performance department, but not having apps get knocked out of memory has been noticeable.

6. TurboPGT! macrumors 68000

In truth I have not noticed it at all just like no user anywhere ever notices limits/ceilings on RAM on iOS devices.

You literally have to do the Safari Tab test, with enough tabs, to ever see any differences.

7. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I notice it with my 3D CAD files not needing to rerender as well as PDFs of the drawings

8. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I did not use my Air 2 for a week or so and two games were suspended and did not need to refresh for me to continue gaming. Couldn't do that on my Ipad Mini 2.

More Ram is good, is there a big difference though with the IPP and the Air 2 I honestly have not done any serious comparisons to judge.

9. Mike B in ok macrumors member

Mike B in ok

10. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

Coming from the Air, and the original iPad before that, hell yes I notice a difference. This is the first time an iPad hasn't felt like a "mobile" device of compromises to me because it just performs so well. No more app crashing and page reloads!!! I feel like this device will really have some legs and not feel obsolete in a year like my other iPads.

11. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I agree with you! I had the original Air before I moved to the Pro. It absolutley makes a difference having 4GB of RAM. I have yet to see one app "refresh" or "reload" since I've started using mine. I would almost always see apps refresh on the original Air.

12. jonstatt1 macrumors regular

Coming from 1GB device, then its very obvious. But whether I would have noticed the difference between 2GB (such as the iPhone 6S) and 4GB on the iPad Pro, is harder to gauge. I don't think there is a good way to measure current memory consumption?

13. AppleRobert macrumors 603

There are a few apps in the store but I never really bothered using any of them.

14. Netrox macrumors newbie

Hard to tell - its either because I got a faster chip or because I got more RAM or a faster SSD.

iPad Pro is just fast. But so is my iPad Air 2. I don't open many tabs in Safari.

15. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

16. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Yes. For one thing slide over and split view is much smoother on my iPP than my Air 2. Everything in general seems smoother, though I wish there was a way to have more control over Safari tab refreshes.

I've noticed if I have a bunch of Safari tabs open and haven't used one in a while it will refresh. I'm not sure how long one has to be 'inactive' for it to refresh though.

17. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Is it kind of pointless to speculate on the 4 gb of ram in the iPP since there are numerous other hardware upgrades that will make the Pro perform much better vs. previous iterations of iPad?

It's not like comparing the iPhone 6Plus to an iPhone 6sPlus.

But in the end with Apple's architecture, of course 4gb Ram is going to yield some performance gains.

18. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

The Pro is much faster and more responsive than the Air 2. I really notice it when I go from my Pro to my Air 2. Split screen is where you really feel the Air 2 isn't that fast anymore.

19. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I've been using the Air 2 for over a year now and the iPad Pro for 3 weeks. I think the Pro is really fast, but not that much faster than the Air 2 since the Air 2 is already very very fast. I guess the extra pixels on the screen of the Pro also require more processing power and RAM.

Damn it I wish I bought the LTE version. With the Smart Keyboard now I really want to bring it out with me. I don't have a lot of time staying at home so my time with this gorgeous machine is very limited. Anyway the Air 2 serves this purpose very well.

20. Seadweller23 macrumors newbie

Seadweller23

I am also coming from the Air and am pleased that I no longer have the page reloads, Safari is very quick on the Pro. One of the review sites had some side by side comparisons showing how the Extra RAM helps.

21. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Yeah, i get tons of App reloads on my Mini 2. It's infuriating at this point.