Have you noticed that Linux and Mac osx software are...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Feb 27, 2010.

?

what os has the best software?

1. Linux

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Mac osx

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  3. Windows

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. Bsd / Sun solaris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Windows may have alot more software then Linux and Mac osx , but the soft is of much better quality on Linux and Mac osx then on Windows.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That is an opinion. I love OS X software too. But there are some nice window's programs too. I think that mac developer's have more taste though when it comes to designing the apps. :)

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't think a comparison can be made.
    There isn't a good freeware FTP app for Windows, whereas OSX has Cyberduck (well, donationware but it can still cost nothing to legitimately run).
    The TV software on OSX is limited to Elgato's EyeTV, which requires you buy a whole new version just to run on Snow Leopard. Whereas on Windows you can run Terratec Home Cinema which is totally free and has the same features as EyeTV.

There are more specific apps too like FLV>MPEG etc but under OSX Quicktime (with codecs) is all you need.

4. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

I don't know... I disagree with the linux software being of a generally higher quality than Windows. IMO I have found linux to be buggy. But its free so the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

We're going to see alot more software for the MacOS in the next few years.

Here's a question for software developers... I applied for a job at a small company where they were restricted by Microsoft from producing software for anything other than Windows. In exchange for that that they got all sorts of support from Microsoft and a hotline to their engineers.

Is that common?

5. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

FileZilla?

6. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Start-run-cmd-ftp.

7. No1451 macrumors 6502

I dunno, some OS X apps fit into the environment better(Colloquy comes to mind), the quality is really subjective.

Maybe I avoid bad software, but most of the software I have for my PC is good(in terms of features, stability, etc)

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Umm, no, I haven't noticed that to be the case at all
    Ever compared MS Office for Windows v. Office for Mac?
    How about Quicken for Windows and Quicken for Mac?

I don't think you can make a generalization that OSX software is better than Windows

9. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Ok then what about Linux software. Also with Windows you see a ton of software that is a trial that you must pay for well on Linux you can find an equivlent that costs you nothing.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, you can find open source software equivalents for many/most programs
    However, the bottom line is, all 3 systems have their advantages and disadvantages

11. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

Personally, I find that the software in OS X is higher quality then the Windows counterparts. This may just be that I find much of the software in Windows is shareware (I detest shareware) and because I don't use Windows very much (except for gaming) I don't have great experience in it's programs.

OP: You should consider adding a poll to the post, to get a better gauge of our opinions.

King Mook Mook

12. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Having all 3 systems I prefer my Linux, but each have their specific uses depending on the task. Most of the Apps I use in OSX are open source ported from Linux because I like macs GUI and I like the Linux apps on my G4. I dual boot Ubuntu and XP on my lap top I rarely use XP unless I am troubleshooting problems specific to the other Windows computers in the house or screwing around with something specific to Windows otherwise I run it in Ubuntu to do everything.

I don't use quicktime I prefer VLC but I do use iTunes, I don't use MS Office when Open Office does the trick nicely, I still use the standard yahoo chat client on mac and windows I don't use any AOL, MSN, or IRC I only use the green ducky on linux (what is the point? of having multiple apps to chat when just about anyone can get just MSN or just yahoo or just AOL just to chat? more apps that do the same thing means more clutter and more service providers to keep track of)

My image editor on all 3 is Gimp The mac OS is a little wierd because I have to launch x-11 to run it but otherwise it's no different from Photoshop (I am sure there is a stand alone version of Gimp for my mac but I have been having trouble finding it).

Linux by itself is not that great it is a little techie at times if you don't know what the hell you are doing (like me half the time since I don't really understand penguins bashing shells and what not--Thankfully the install is not that complicated on a lot of the versions LOL), but I guess my bias has a lot to do with all the great free stuff developed, ported and distributed as a result of its use.

13. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Although I officially switched in 2005, I still voted Windows. Windows development has been on the forefront of graphical integration (SLi for example), has a wider breadth of software available based on user market share, and the "standardization" of the OS among businesses has allowed for a lot of personalization and tailoring for specific applications for different needs.

While this alone has no bearing on software in general, many of these custom applications evolve into much greater applications that gain popularity exponentially. And with a much larger market share, the feedback is greater, leading to better development and features.

While the market share sits where it does today, Windows will continue to dominate.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It comes down to this.

In Windows you can find the software that you need to just about anything.

OSX and Linux you can find the software for most things but a lot of very specialized stuff you might get lucky to find it. Compared to windows were you can find it. I know of quite a bit of engineering software out there that it only existed in the windows format.

15. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Being in an environment that is beautifully designed on a daily basis (OS X) drives you to want to expel anything which is inherently ugly or overly fussy in design. Good design encourages good design, and Xcode makes it incredibly simple to make simple, functional and elegant software, which is probably a great contributor towards polished looking apps for Mac.

Yes, Mac/iPhone apps are imho, of a far higher quality in general functionality and simplicity than those found on Windows, for the above reasons, but many others drive this ethos, which I have no time to consider right now.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry but I have to disagree. I use fedora 12 and the software that is available pales in comparison to the polish, stability and features found on OSX.

For instance, take Gimp, Photoshop is a better product.
    Take RDP, I use gnome-rdp, its slower, and a bit buggier then RDP from MS (for OSX).
    iTunes blows anything away that's on Linux
    Gnome, dated, but fairly stable.
    KDE, newer then gnome (interface wise) but buggier.
    VMware workstation for Linux - works well, fairly polished but slower then Vmware Fusion.

All in all, the software I see for Linux is in perpetual beta, many of the programs are usually 0.x.y not even at the version 1 level yet.

Now down't get me wrong, I like fedora, and I like it over windows but that doesn't mean it has better, more polished programs then OSX.

17. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I have a preference for debian and ubuntu over fedora the updates are a breeze, as far as Gimp not being as good as PS I wouldn't be so sure Gimp matches PS in features and ease of use if you know where to look for the proper add ons.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have used both, and the Gimp seems clunky to me in comparison to PS
    Now granted, PS is very cumbersome and complicated, but the Gimp isn't as intuitive to me
    And that is saying a lot

19. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Well, to each their own I have used both too once you have gimp configured the way you like it it's just as useful as PS I have used both side by side to see if there was any noticeable difference in the quality of image edits, performance and speed and given the outcome it was equal--ultimately it came down to cost so I prefer using Gimp.

So far every Photoshop tutorial I have even stumbled across seems to work just as well adapting the instructions to gimp with very few adjustments--my favorite tutorial is the X-ray effect on female clothing it seems to work just fine :DLOL I would like to find myself a small third LCD monitor to keep the tools on leaving more room on my main screen though

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

When it comes to cost, there is no comparison

Have you used Pixelmator?
    And if so, what did you think of it?

21. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Never tried that one I have heard of it though, but no opinion on it. what I have suits my purposes. Before I started using PS and then Gimp I was a big fan of Graphic Converter long long ago too.

22. djellison macrumors 68020

Browsers? Better on PC because flash is better on PC
    CS4? Same on both
    Word Ppt Excel? Crap on Mac
    Handbrake? Same
    Mail? No better than Entourage.
    iTunes? Same
    Keynote/Pages/Numbers are better than Office on a Mac, but are no better than Office on a PC.

Can I get some specific examples that put Mac apps ahead please? I'm struggling to think of any I use on a day to day basis. When someone says something as stupid as claiming ther ar no good free FTP apps for PC, I genuinely wonder on what experience base people are makig this decision. I have both OS's open on my desk all day - and flick between them almost constantly.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

There's your problem right there.

Anything put out by Redhat, let alone anything RPM-based is just full of bloat, and drives you into dependency hell. You can't install something because it depends on something else, which depends on something else, repeat ad nauseum. That goes for RedHat, Fedora, SuSE, and OpenSuSE.

Ubuntu is just a word meaning "every other Linux distribution is too hard for me!".

Slackware, however, just works. It's one of, if not the longest running distros out there (since 1993), the most stable, and plans to stay that way. Its packages are created from the original source, with no additional patches outside the source tree, unlike the other distros.

As far as apps? There has been a 14 year old Gimp vs. Photoshop war going on that no-one sees an end to. For what most people want, the Gimp works best. Besides.. if it works great for Hollywood,, it works for me.

When you think about it, it is theoretically possible to run OS X apps on Linux. As long as the support for the architecture and binary format is compiled (either into the kernel or as a module), it should work. One of the many reasons why Linux users were gung-ho about Apple going to x86 based processors.

BL.

24. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

LOL yah that's one reason I use it.