have you noticed the ventilation slits.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondu999, Nov 18, 2008.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Ok, a bit of background to start with. When Apple first released the MacBook Pro, in its Core Duo-ness, under the screen, they used vertical vents. Then, they changed that in the Core 2 Duo models, to help with cooling, to horizontal vents, but inside, they still had a recessed version of the vertical vents. Now, however, the unibody MacBook Pro now uses vertical vents. Why do you think Apple did this? I mean, cooling doesn't hurt... Or do you think it's some other design thing?

2. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

It is primarily still a large horizontal vent with the vertical fins placed there to prevent stuff from entering the system, and as a heatsink for the bottom of the machine.

3. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, but the Core 2 Duo classic models had the 1 big vent separated into 6 horizontal vents.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

What's your point here? The whole back of the notebook is still basically one huge vent, as its always been. I'd say the current design adds structural support to the open and somewhat vulnerable area of the case, while still providing plenty of air-flow and preventing things from getting inside. Also, the entire aluminum case helps dissipate heat.

5. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

No no.. no specific point. Just noting how interesting (to me, at least) that they made a minor functionality redesign for 2 years (Oct 06 to Oct 08) and then they went back to a vent design that they deemed ineffective before.