Have you noticed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grooveattack, Nov 18, 2008.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

Is your MBP (new or old) slow in the morning? Mine always is abit on the slow side early in the morning when its cold.

2. convergent macrumors 65816

convergent

You might want to switch it from decaf to regular. ;)

3. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Very nice.

I haven't noticed it. But then again I usually have "Linux" torrents going out over night - I doubt it gets cold. It could have something to do with a starting up from cold. Try leaving it on for a night. (Like don't let it go to sleep.)

4. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

I am still laughing :D

5. grooveattack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm, pushing coffee into the cd drive was not the best decision i have ever made. I know, i will pore energy drinks into the express card slot, that will help.

6. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

Thats because your MBP and the iPod are getting together after the lights go out...you would be a bit sluggish too.

7. morespce54 macrumors 65816

morespce54

LOL... I always suspected something weird was happening at dusk...
    At first, I thought it was Spotlight or the system's crons that were making these noises but now that you mention it... ;)

8. convergent macrumors 65816

convergent

There ya go! Sorry for being a wiseguy, but it was the morning and I'm moving kind of slow this time of day.

Do you leave your machine running all the time? I always leave my systems on 24x7, so I don't think I'd see this unless you are saying that its on, and just slow first thing. That wouldn't seem to make any sense. There may be something physics related that could explain it.... but it should go the other way I'd think. I mean, don't they use extreme "super cooling" on those really fast super computers?

Have you checked to see if any of your software might be running daily maintenance routines during that time? I remember years ago a story about a big systems problem at a big company. Every day around the same time all their terminals in one part of the facility would fail and they had pulled their hair out running diagnostics and having experts check out the situation. Then while working on the problem on location, a technician was busy working and notice the cleaning staff come in and unplug one of the controllers so that she could plug in her vacuum cleaner. Everyone assumed it was some complex system problem and it was really something very simple. If its really running slow, I would think the most obvious cause would be some processes running in the background.

9. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Yeah.... lol... I was thinking "it might just be you" xD

10. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

11. convergent macrumors 65816

convergent

Not me, what's the point?

12. wesrk macrumors 6502a

:Dlol:D
    getting back on topic for a minute, yeah, I share the OP's experience. In the last few weeks I've been noticing my MBP is getting somewhat slow in the mornings when i first turn it on then it comes to its regular operational speed which is pretty fast or at least I don't notice any slowdowns in my day to day routine.
    I never thought about it being because of the cold, but it does match with the recent low temperatures we're experiencing here. Checking iStat pro, temperatures are in the low 20 °C (around 68°F) when I first turn it on after being off for a few hours at night. Then it pretty much stays on the entire day so the slow downs only occur in the morning.

Any ideas? Normal behavior? Something else? I have my ipod far away from my mbp, so I don't think those two are fooling around at night.

13. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

when you first wake up, roll over and gently rub the hard drive until it's at the optimum temp. and rpm. it'll be just fine the rest of the day. :D

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Brilliant - chortled to myself and confirmed yet again one of the reasons why I really like MR.

Cheers

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

16. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Decaf is pure ****e! hehe
    Infact when I visted NYC last year I was amazed by the amount of coffee shops labeling decaf in their menus.

Something you just don't see here in Ireland of the rest of Europe for that matter.

To the OP. Never noticed it :)

17. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

you're too modest.
    my ipod, MBP and iPhone are having a threesome everynight..
    they're using every hole on my MBP...
    oh well, My MBP isn't complaining..

18. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

How long do you let it sleep each night? I think it's just too tired in the morning while it tries to wake up. Try putting it to sleep a little bit earlier from now on? :D

19. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Coffees bad for you, but you get into the routine of having coffee, thus, decaf.

20. Yoley macrumors newbie

I love how the OP asked a question, and everyone diverted the topic to a discussion on coffee and making puns. :p

Perhaps you're computer is acting like a car on cold day. You'd need to get the gears running for a few minutes before everything is normal. (At least it's like that with my car)