Have you purchased a RMBP in the last 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bsen4961, Oct 31, 2012.

1. bsen4961 Guest

If you have purchased a RMBP in the last 2 weeks have you noticed any image retention? What display manufacture do you have?

Thank you

2. kallyq macrumors regular

I bought mine at Best Buy last weekend, have an LG screen and haven't had any problems yet.

3. iPersian macrumors regular

image retention can take some time (weeks) before it shows up. two weeks is not enough. my guess is that we wont know until late november for the rMBPs purchased this or last week.

----------

there is no reason to expect that the problem magically has been fixed by itself since the panels are the same as they have been since launch. ie faulty.

4. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I bought two. One received 2 weeks ago and another that came in yesterday. My 2 week old rMBP is a LG that pronounced IR within a few days and my Samsung unit is absolutely IR free.

Noticeable differences between the two screen manufacturers:

LG
    - More color accurate
    - Deeper blacks
    - Contrast levels are beautiful
    - And most importantly, inevitable in getting IR

Samsung
    - Brighter display
    - Sharper texts and textures
    - Washed out colors, although appears matte
    - Absolutely free from IR

5. Maczor macrumors regular

I have purchased one in the last 2 weeks... haven't received it yet :)

6. kallyq macrumors regular

7. SchuettS macrumors 6502

I'm still waiting on my week 23 lg to become worse. Only very very faint ir after the 15 mins test and only noticeable on a dark grey background. How much longer do I have before it gets worse? It's been the same for 21 weeks.

8. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Bought a new (sealed) rMBP on CL today and got lucky with a Samsung Screen and Samsung SSD :D Nothing so far. My previous unit was a LG Screen but I also didn't have any issues either - however, I feel like the samsung color is more accurate for my photography work.

9. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Wrong? Show me your graphs/charts comparing LG's color gamut accuracy to Samsung, oh and might as well throw in a black level measurement too.

Sorry if I sound like an ass. But you are stating things as "fact", when unless you have taken measurements (of both displays), you have no "facts".

----------

If you do photography work go get a colorimeter (like the i1 display pro). My Samsung rMBP measured pretty decent out of the box, but after calibration it is amazing. It is in the realm of "reference", or can even be called a "reference" display.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Mine arrived yesterday, Samsung panel, no IR.

----------

I've got the i1 Display LT. Think it's worth it to upgrade it?

11. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Received my rMBP 15" today. Has a Samsung display, no IR.

12. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Samsung panel here. Bought about 3 weeks ago. At first the whites had a slightly uneven tint (a bit yellowish at the bottom), but this problem has mysteriously disappeared over time. It's absolutely picture perfect now! Nothing to do with Calibration, as the problem was present after calibration and with any profile used. Now it's flat out even, regardless of settings. Absolutely zero IR. The whites are intensely white and the blacks intensely black. Zero bleeding, even in a pitch dark room.

13. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

Mine arrived yesterday. I returned an LG to best buy last week that had significant IR (it was an open box dealio).

Fired this one up, checked, LG panel, bleh. Ran the test. No IR. None at all.

Not sure if they fixed the issue with a new batch or what, but so far, my LG has no IR what so ever.

14. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Have you purchased a RMBP in the last 2 weeks?

No..

15. kallyq macrumors regular

Mine might have it because I see a faint line where my internet window is.

16. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I bought a 15" rMBP last week. It's the base model and has the Samsung display panel. Absolutely flawless.

17. iPersian macrumors regular

its hard to say. maybe it wont get worse. but as far as i know the heat overtime will make it worse. but there are always exceptions. some have stronger ir some have more slight. it depends on the screen itself and how much u use it and for what.

the bad thing is that nothing is certain. only that IR is on almost every LG display laptop eventually. those who claim that they dont have are:

-either lying
    -have samsung
    -their laptops are too new.
    -or belong to the rare exception.

18. swordsmn macrumors newbie

I know nothing would cure the true "pixel peepers" among us, but if we could all get the Men in Black memory pen poof treatment, how many would never rush to try to burn checkerboards into their retina screens. I mean if we're all so freaked we'll end up with a picture of our mother in law permanently etched onto our screen in 13 months, buy applecare & if it's really pronounced (vrs barely discernible) I bet Applecare WILL help you.

If I'm wrong, we should all be buying something else. Me, I wanna 16gig MBP fer Xmas :)

19. icecoldart macrumors member

icecoldart

Mate you are missing the point, back in the days the macbook PRO was menat for professional not a mjaority of people using it to surf the web or watch some movies. The border has blurred ver, very much now but it's still called a pro so i'd expect to be a "pro"like. IR IS an issue for many of working professionals.

For example when i'm doing an illustration in Photoshop and decide to move the window to bring in some refferenc eor whatever it will mess up with my image. This is not acceptable, certainly not for that price.

Don't be an iSheep and say i'm happy because it's apple and they say it's within specs, you have to complain it's your consumer right, you can and you should as only the bad input will make them to fix it.

Take the imac for example, after years of begging we will finally recieve a "dust free display" ;)

20. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Interesting synopsis--I must be the latter. We've got a pair of rMBPs--1 2.6/512/16 w/Sammy---the other a 2.7/768/16 w/LG. Almost 4 weeks old, zero IR on either machine. I should mention...I've zero interest in running the checkerboard test---however, ALL we're using on these machines are the programs; Aperture, PS, Premier, AE, FCPx & 7, and Audition. We do use Safari as well...and Maya rarely. Point being, ALL those UIs are 'static'---and if there was a serious concern of IR, it should've shown itself by now. I see none. As well, I've calibrated both displays using the afore mentioned i1 DisplayPro. Amazing--Truly amazing displays---both of them measuring close to my SBuy LP2408zx and my Eizo ColorEdge LG241w...both reference displays for our photo and motion work.

If you're banging your head trying to make a buying decision of an rMBP, please--PLEASE stop already!!! This may be the most over embellished 'gate' to date!!! Apple would discontinue sales if the failure rates were as high as reading forums such as MR would lead you to believe. These are easily, hands down, the BEST computer Apple has built to date---if you've got reservations, and the cash to buy, splash for AppleCare. Three years from now, if you're an rMBP buyer today---you'll be ready for a 'new' computer at that point.

LG is an excellent display manufacturer...as is Sammy and Sharp. There are gonna be duds when you build in quantity. Just don't get carried away 'believing' the 'net chatter. The SAME exact conversations have been commonplace for a decade in the 'display forum' @ avsforum.com when it comes to LCD/LED home televisions...plasma was always the worst offender, however--IR due to static image can happen, along with light bleed, dead or bright pixels, et al. Again, figure AC into your cost and enjoy the fastest, sleekest, most beautiful Apple laptop ever conceived...forget Apple, even in the Windows arena, a computer that competes with the rMBP does not yet exist

j

21. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I haven't noticed but I also haven't been aggressively looking for things that are wrong like some do here (I did that with my iMac 2 years ago and it drove me insane).

I paid for AppleCare so I'll be fine either way if it becomes a problem.;)

22. kamelperez macrumors newbie

Ordered a new one on Monday, shipped today with estimated delivery on the 7th. My only other one I returned last weekend due to loud keyboard buzzing and IR.

I looked up the serial number and it's week 45 Nov. I wish the serial could tell me the display though.

23. iPersian macrumors regular

i didnt look for it as i didnt remember this IR, i had barely read about it and forgotten about IR when i bought one. i noticed it without any test. i read about the checkered board test logn after id noticed IR and i never used the test. it was not necessary.

i agree that this is a masterpiece of a laptop. nothing less but all we are saying is that this amazing laptop has an issue.

excluding the IR, this is best computer apple has made. therefore i wait until the issue has been resolved and the gpu updated since i noticed moving windows around on the desktop hasnt as smooth as my 2006 laptop!

----------

the serial will tell apple people about the display but they dont admit it or some of the people dont know about how to check.

24. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

So how do you check what display by the serial?

25. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

There's a thread on it in this forum.