Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
I'm thinking of moving my backup to iCloud but 5GB is definitely not enough (my iPhone needs 7.5GB). Have anyone purchased more storage? If yes, how much storage do you need?

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
nope. so far I hate iCloud. I only like find my mac and photo stream.

Yeah I don't get this either. Works as advertised, free, easy to set up and control what syncs where. Puzzled :/

I too had a paid MobileMe account so I currently have 25 GB's. But I also use Dropbox and Box is giving away free for life 50GB accounts. You have to register through the iOS app if you want it. So between all those accounts I have a total of 125GB's which for now I think serves my needs.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I had a big MobileMe family plan, so I've got currently 55GB of iCloud space "free" for the next year.

I'll probably drop that down when the account comes due to probably the 25GB level, though it's too bad there isn't something between the $40 plan and the $100 plan.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Although Apple "claims" you get 5GB, that's only true before you setup your iCloud account. By following Apples instructions exactly, 4.8GB is used up with only the most basic of content. This is well documented by several sources. PC Magazine has identified and issued a tutorial helping one reclaim some lost space. As always, Apple has designed iCloud to be another cash cow for them. One way or another they make a hefty profit, while convincing their followers they're not.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Although Apple "claims" you get 5GB, that's only true before you setup your iCloud account. By following Apples instructions exactly, 4.8GB is used up with only the most basic of content. This is well documented by several sources. PC Magazine has identified and issued a tutorial helping one reclaim some lost space. As always, Apple has designed iCloud to be another cash cow for them. One way or another they make a hefty profit, while convincing their followers they're not.

i don't get your post.. but i'm not gonna argue.

whether it's a cash cow or not, i like that everything is synced to a 'cloud' for free. 5GB is more than enough for me (and millions of iOS users) as of now.

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009

Strange. I have more than what is probably "basic content", yet between my iPhone and iPad, I have used 1.4gb of the 5gb freely given. I'm sure when more game saves go to iCloud that number will get bigger, but it certainly won't fill up anywhere near 3.6gb.

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010

rofl i have an iPhone and an iPad synced to their fullest and i still have 700mb of free space, not to mention the free 1000 pics or 30 days i have to store my photos on photo stream, stupid greedy apple......:rolleyes:

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
I have an iPad and iPhone, both with a lot of content fully synced and am using 2.7 gb. If I needed to free space I'd unsyncronize some apps that are pretty easily redownloadable and only sync apps I've extensively personalized. You can also set it to back up to your computer instead of iCloud.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
No need for me to buy more iCloud storage. Already have a time machine attached to my iMac with a 500 GB external hard drive, plus I have a macbook with all my data too. In the end, I wish to control where I store everything, not where Apple wants me to store it.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I would get more gb if Apple introduced some kind of iDisk where i could store whatever. As of now i find 5 gb enough for what it is needed.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
How can you hate a free syncing service....guess some people will hate anything.
Google offered a free sync service for years. So this "hate" may simply be "choice".

For me, we have a 6 device family (2 iPad, 2 iPhone, 2 Macs) which were in perfect sync with Google services but I switched to Apple just because i want to live in the entire ecosystem but in the end it caused a lot of issues I never had with Google. Im still sticking to iCloud since I have gotten everything straightened out but I dont necessarily recommend it to my friends/family who are already comfortable with Google handling their sync.

Oh, and my 5GB is already gone just on backing up my iPad/iPhone but im not going to buy more. Its pricing is a bit high just for backup.

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
I have 21.7GB free out of 25GB. When you go to manage storage, all the apps are selected to back up, but is the app itself being backed up to iCloud or just the app's data? And if it's just the data, is there a real need to have that backed up?

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I have 21.7GB free out of 25GB. When you go to manage storage, all the apps are selected to back up, but is the app itself being backed up to iCloud or just the app's data? And if it's just the data, is there a real need to have that backed up?

I'm wondering the same thing. I can see why the app data is backed up, that's the whole point. If they are charging to store the app itself as a back up then it's a jip. All the have to do is link to where they have the app stored on there servers for the market already. It appears it is just storing the data to me.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
It appears to just back up personal data. On my iPhone all of my apps are listed with a corresponding size, and some are listed but say "No data", suggesting its only additional data that's stored. I'm surprised by some of the apps that store personal data, but it's small sizes, so I'm guessing it's just preferences...?

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
I have the additional mobile me storage also. But i'm not sure exactly why it would be needed. iCloud currently offers no idisk like functionality, and the standard 5 gb seems fine for the majority of users.

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
I'm wondering the same thing. I can see why the app data is backed up, that's the whole point. If they are charging to store the app itself as a back up then it's a jip. All the have to do is link to where they have the app stored on there servers for the market already. It appears it is just storing the data to me.

Yeh, I think you're right. I compared the size of the backup to the size of the app according to the AppStore for a couple of them and they don't match. Some back ups, like Facebook, are larger than the app itself and others are smaller. So it must be just the info related to the app.

It appears to just back up personal data. On my iPhone all of my apps are listed with a corresponding size, and some are listed but say "No data", suggesting its only additional data that's stored. I'm surprised by some of the apps that store personal data, but it's small sizes, so I'm guessing it's just preferences...?

I noticed that, too. I'm still not sure what exactly you would lose by not backing up the app's data, though. They are small, but it adds up to over 3GB for all my apps while mail is only using 47.7MB. If there is no real need to back up the app data than I could have room to play with the free 5GB when my MobileMe storage expires next June without needing to purchase more.

EDIT: Wow. Disregard my last. My camera roll is 3.1GB. Not sure how I missed that considering it's the first one listed.

Last edited:

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008

This is crap. I upgraded to iOS5 and iCloud on Day 1. By default, backup to the cloud was disabled on all my devices. I didn't even explore backup settings until finding the PC Magazine article you refer to and only then did I notice I had a choice. With default settings, I am only using 0.7gb of my allotted storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.