Have you rationalised a 4S purchase

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bryanjc, Oct 11, 2011.

?

What sold you

1. Siri

41 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. Camera

19 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Upgraded guts

42 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. Something else?

30 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. bryanjc macrumors regular

I love taking photos of my daughter on our days out, i think we all agree the iPhone 4 camera was something special for a mobile phone, so this 8MP camera with the new wide lense should be great

Sirii for me, is a novelty like Facetime was (never bothered with it)

iMessage will be a big thing, which will link my missus to me via iOS5

for me, the camera and the imessage sold me, the design is a consistent winner for me, and i'm happy they kept it. :apple:

What sold you?

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Four things in particular:
    1. Apple customer service is the best bar none w/ Apple stores and the Genius bar
    2. iPhones keep their high value for a long time on Craigslist
    3. Industry leading battery life (even with a dual core processor)
    4. Knowing that I will have the top phone of its kind for an entire year or more (unlike Android)

3. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

Lots of things, but if you want me to choose just one, then 64GB.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

5. Justim macrumors 6502

I wanted a white iPhone and couldn't bring myself to upgrade my black iPhone 4 to the same model, but a different color.

That and AT&T didn't offer me an upgrade until the iPhone 4s was announced. (Luckily they have ALWAYS offered me an immediate upgrade for the new iPhones even if my upgrade was supposed to be 6 months out.)

Everything else is a bonus.

I sold my Black iPhone 4 32gb for $325. That'll cover the White iPhone 4s 32gb and a pack of cigarettes I'll be smoking to calm my nerves while standing in line at Apple this Friday. (I'll step out of line to smoke to be courteous :D)

No harm/no foul

Well except for that pesky ozone layer.

You'll be losing 100 hours of standby time moving from the 4 to the 4s, but gaining an hour of 3G talk time. You might know that already though.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

7. FutureStan macrumors member

Aside from the obvious excellence in Apple's customer service, Siri and A5.

I've carried an iPod touch (2nd generation) with every phone I got for the past two years, therefore I gave Android its chance, and it blew it, so I'm done with it until they release a worthy Android release that can compete with iOS in terms of smoothness and reliability. My experience with iOS has been extremely pleasant especially with my original iPad and the iPad 2, so I figured this is the best time to finally get the iPhone! :D

Oh, and the 2nd generation iPod touch is really slow lol :rolleyes:

8. ThetaSigma macrumors regular

I've been saving up to come back to iPhone for a long time, so didn't think twice about pre ordering.

I wasn't expecting an iPhone 5 to be honest, just thought they'd put out a S⃣ version this year. I was actually going to wait until next year to come back to iPhone, which is when I assume they will give the phone a new design, but I couldn't put up with my Blackberry POS anymore :eek: It kept deleting all my music, photos, videos etc and eventually I just gave up syncing it all the time.

What made me want to come back to iPhone?

1. Ease of use with iPhone it's as simple as plugging into iTunes, clicking everything you want on it and pressing Sync. Once it's done, eject and that's you. iOS is the most simple and easy to use OS on a phone IMO. I left iPhone because I wanted to do more with my phone. I wanted this setting, and that setting but after using an Android and Blackberry I realise how well made iOS is. It's just so simple to use.
    2. iTunes with Android I couldn't sync my contacts/calender/music/apps/photos/videos and games with my computer or back the phone up. I had to do everything seperate and if the phone got wiped then I was back to square one. Blackberry was better because there is the Blackberry Desktop Manager but it is nowhere near as fluid and easy to use as iTunes. Don't start me on updating the software...
    3. iPod This one is simple. Was a nightmare to put music on Android, and I could sync music on Blackberry with iTunes but my Blackberry kept corrupting the SD card and it's a pain in the *** to sync 10GB of music all the time (which happens muuuuuuuuuuuuch slower than iTunes)
    4. Beautiful design I don't need to say much on this except...just look at the iPhone 4! Even the inside is beautiful, it truly is amazing how they design it. Well built and reliable.
    5. Apple's customer service OK so say my Blackberry/Android breaks, what do I do? Wait nevermind, that will give you a headache! No doubt I'd have to phone up some call centre person who doesn't have a clue and will charge me to get it fixed and it'll take days or weeks. Apple? Simple as booking an appointment online with the Genius bar and pop down to the Apple store and explain the issues. If your phone is under warranty then they usually give you a shiny replacement right there and then and you'll be on your way home within minutes.

9. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

My decision was easy. My wife was sick of my old phones being handed down to her, so she wanted a new phone of her own. The 14 year old son was the same, so he's buying his own phone too - both are paying for their own phones, what a bonus!

Now I am happy with my iPhone 4, but cant have them with a 4S and me with a 4, so I'm getting a 64GB 4S as well. I was not going to bother, but the speed increase and Siri, along with the larger space were nice additions. All I really wanted was a larger screen, but that will have to wait for some later iPhone :(

10. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Oh yeah :)

I made a thread about the "drop" in standby battery life here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1240393

Once you do the math you see that there isn't any real world drop in battery life whatsoever.

As for trading an hour of 3g talk time with an hour of WiFi browsing I'm fine with that since I really don't need more than 9 hours of dual core WiFi browsing a day. If I did then I would say that I need some counseling ;)

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Do not need to rationalize.

Want it, buy it!

I consider the price to be cheap when you consider what it does for me. Doubt I will use the Siri but the better camera will come in handy for business. To me that is all that matters as I use my phone as phone more than anything else and the iPhone has always been a darn good phone.:)

12. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I like taking pictures. 64GB can hold a lot of 1080p video and pictures.

My old iPhone "2G" is still very serviceable and basically looks brand new (I waited in line and bought it on day 1.) It won't run iOS 4 though, and it was about time for an upgrade.

I'm doing a lot of traveling, and I think with the new iPhone 4s camera, I'll be able to leave my old Sony cybershot at home and just carry one device.

Siri looks cool. Retina Display will be nice. Speed bump to 3G+ will be a nice bump from EDGE. 64GB vs. 8GB will also be nice.

I'm looking forward to the 4s.

13. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Giving my wife my 4 because her 3Gs battery life is now terrible was enough for me.

14. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I owned an iPhone 4 for a total of one week before returning it because of the signal attenuation. Luckily, I always wanted a white one as well. Attenuation problem solved and I can now get it in white and not own something that's already almost a whole year late. Win win for me.

15. Justim macrumors 6502

Wow.... You actually did the math. Lol

16. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

My iPod is only playing audio in one channel, and my SE phone is pretty old, so I had already decided on an iPhone 4. But I've decided to upgrade to the 4S mainly due to Siri, since I work a lot with my hands, and thus could need the hands-free communication. The improved camera (Not the MPs) was also a factor.

17. gazzrenn macrumors 6502

gazzrenn

[​IMG]

18. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yup, I'd rather spend $400 on an iPhone than $200 on a Blackberry or Android phone any day.

19. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

I've been using the dumbphone-iPod touch combo for too long and its about time i actually got a good Smartphone. Of course the only good one being an iPhone. :apple:

Seriously though they're all good, i've just invested too much money in the Apple ecosystem to pick something else. :eek:

20. ljump12 macrumors 6502

pretty easy to rationalize when you're on the "original" iPhone.

21. bryanjc thread starter macrumors regular

Of course, i should have highlighted this is aimed at current iPhone 4 owners who are sill wondering what the benefit of upgrading will be.

22. Brett0712 macrumors member

I 3rd this... If you want it, just buy it!

23. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I use my phone every day, multiple times a day so buying a new phone id not only exciting but money well spent!

24. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Upgraded camera
    Upgraded speed
    Next iPhone in general

Those are really it.

25. fleavers macrumors newbie

fleavers

For me It had to have

8mp camera
    Dual core
    64gb
    802.11 n
    bluetooth 4.0
    and it had to be on sprint (they are the only cell phone company where i live that has 3g. we have At&t, Verizon, and U.S. Cellular and none of them have 3g expect sprint)