Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Very true. A lot of people don't think about this. Just making extra payments to principal each month with your 30 year loan can turn it into a 20 year loan pretty easily! A good alternative for people who can't handle big upfront refinancing costs or don't want to add years to their loan.

Some do not have a goal of paying off their mortgage--myself included--so advance payments are not for everyone--but certainly a strategy to consider. I am perfectly content paying the monthly payment--different financial circumstances dictate different strategies. :cool:

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
^^ You bring up a good point due to the fact that the vast majority of home owners do not stay in their home for the duration of the mortgage. However, the point in making extra principle payments is that the money comes back to you when you do sell the home because your loan was paid down that much more.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
^^Of course, but in my case, I need the money--so the refinance for me will net more more monthly income--and since my income (which is a military pension) is taxable, I can always use the tax break. :D

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
When my income goes up, such that I have extra, I am more inclined to add to my retirement/investment accounts than I am to make extra principal payments. That may or may not be a optimal strategy depending on ROI.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I think as many have said here--it only has to be right for YOUR strategy since there is no absolute right way to manage your finances.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Yes, I meant principal payments. Still, refi is better for many who just don't have the discipline to stick to extra payments, auto transfer or not. It's not for everyone. I have the discipline to make extra principal payments, but I like the convenience of just having the appropriate mortage terms for me. It's never an issue.

Yes, you said so in your post. I didn't quote the whole thing, so . . .

I think the auto transfer may teach discipline to someone in need of the instruction. Money in the pocket is easy to spend.

But then, I am a very disciplined person. People comment on it from time to time. So take my advice, or leave it, with that in mind. (just a general comment, not directed to a particular post here)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.