Have you returned iP4 to AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kallemia, Jul 7, 2010.

1. kallemia macrumors member

kallemia

Just wondering, for the folks who have returned their iPhone 4's (bought from AT&T online) to an AT&T retail store, did you have to pay the restocking fee? Apple says they've waived it for the 30 days after purchase, but has AT&T?

Also, I sold my 3gs (wish I hadn't now!) and am phoneless when I return this. Were any of you in similar situations? What did you do?

Thanks in advance,
    Karl

2. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Resellers have not waived the restocking fee. You may get lucky with a manager, but most do not care that Apple has waived theirs. If you are truly unhappy with it, sell it on CL or ebay. You will get more than you paid for it.

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Yes, but also still be stuck with the 2 year contract and 350 ETF

4. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

AT&T gives you 30 days to cancel your contract without a fee.

5. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

But then they also take the phone back.

Also, today I got my replacement phone for my original for proximity sensor issue.

I m not really pleased with the replacement phone. It looks used, all buttons are loose (volume, sleep/wake etc. )

I am returning the replacement as it is to apple.

I will return my original to Att.

:(

6. kallemia thread starter macrumors member

kallemia

AT&T is a reseller?

How is AT&T a reseller? Why isn't Apple considered a reseller of AT&T phone service?

I guess I think of AT&T and Apple as being on the same level here. Best Buy, Radio Shack, Walmart - those are resellers.

I haven't contacted AT&T yet about this. I wish they would follow Apple's lead and waive the restocking fee for the iPhone 4.

7. Katanae macrumors member

I live in Germany and tried to return the Phone today, they would not cancel my contract despite Apple's announcement and the 14 day right of rescission or exchange it even though I told them about these problems.

1: Reception issues
    2: Proximity sensor issues
    3: Loss of battery power over night
    [​IMG]

Jesus...

8. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

When I ran into the "mysterious battery loss" issue on my iPhone 3G, it was some webpage that was still running in the background in Safari. Now that we have iPhone 4 and multitasking, you will have to be more vigilant about rogue processes.

I highly recommend the free "SysStatsLite" application to see if your CPU is being abused by some rogue process.

Once you find the rogue process, double-click the Home button to view the task switcher, then press and hold on any icon to make them start jiggling. Then press the red (-) icon on the application you wish to terminate.

-Aaron-

9. Katanae macrumors member

I always close webpages before leaving safari but I agree, it is probably some app running in the background...

10. kallemia thread starter macrumors member

kallemia

I don't want to cancel my contract - just revert to the way it was before this "upgrade"... and then upgrade to a different device.

11. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

No you won't . I returned mine within the 30 day period. No cancellation fees, no ETF, no contract.
    And if you ask, AT&T is waving the restocking fees since Apple is waiving them. If they don't want to wave them, take it to the next supervisor and have them check. That's what I did and yes, they did wave the restocking fee.

ALSO, if you bought Applecare and have already opened the box and registered your iphone applecare, contact apple support and ask them for a refund of the Applecare cost. Apple is refunding my Applecare cost. All you need is proof of purchase, a receipt. They will ask you to fax or e-mail a copy of the receipt. Once you have a case # and send them proof, they will issue you a check. It might take 6-8 weeks though. Mine was just approved yesterday so hopefully by the end of Aug. Early Sep. I should have check in hand.

Hope this helps.

12. kallemia thread starter macrumors member

kallemia

Question answered!

Very helpful Martyimac. Thanks for the point-by-point answer. I'll remember the thing about the restocking fee!

13. ballen420 macrumors 6502

Good luck getting your original phone back. They basically send them out immediately to be refurbished.

I want to return my phone to AT&T but I have a swapped out phone that Apple gave me. Got to fight with them later when I have time.

14. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

I read your answer wrong. You are correct in that if you don't cancel through AT&T and only sell your iPhone through ebay or whatever, you WILL be stuck with the 2 year contract. I would think you would only be stuck with the ETF if you don't return the phone.

Sorry bout that.

15. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

Sorry if I was not very clear; I returned the phone to Apple that Apple sent me as a replacement. I still have my original iPhone.

16. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

One question is still unanwered. Do we return the online (ATT premier) purchased phone in ATT store or we have to ship it back to Att location somewhere?

17. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

You are allowed to cancel your contract and keep the phone without an ETF if it is within the 30 days. But you will be charged the unsubsidized price of the phone.

18. Wilcha macrumors newbie

I don't want to start a new thread, as I figure I can ask this here.

I've had buyer's remorse about the iPhone 4 and have decided to wait out my contract with my 3GS. I ordered the ip4 from AT&T and it's still backordered, but should ship any day. I know their website says I can't cancel the order now and I'll have to pay a 10% restocking fee. That's $40+. If I were to just not pick up the iPhone when it came to the store, would I still be charged?

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

It seems like if you return the phone without activating it that should avoid the 10% restock fee.

Thats probably a better question for AT&T customer support and/or someone in the store.

I wouldn't just not pick it up though; take active action to find out your options (like refusing delivery) or actually going to the store rather than not doing anything (which is what the phrasing of your post sounds like you're suggesting).

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Sell the phone on cragislist or ebay for 600-700 then buy a new phone, whatever phone you want, at retail value. Not going to be more than 700.

21. Wilcha macrumors newbie

I called AT&T before posting and they were unable to do it for me that way.

Then I made the trip to the AT&T store and they fortunately let me cancel the order with no charges. Just posting in case anyone else should search for this answer.