Have You Scratched Your 3GS's Screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hellishness, Jun 21, 2010.

?

Did you scratch the screen of your 3GS?

1. No, and it's been naked.

58 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. No, because I had a screen protector.

32 vote(s)
    19.9%
  3. Yes, but it's just a hairline scratch.

39 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Yes, and it's deep.

9 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. I don't have a 3GS.

23 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I think this may help people decide whether to get a screen protector or not (this poll is only for 3GSs because of the oleophobic coating).

Please comment saying how you used it.

:)

2. orson3g macrumors member

No, I never scratched it. I have a rubber case for the plastic part, but do not use a screen protector for the glass. It's pointless, especially with the oleophobic coating. Now if you're dumb and throw it in your pocket with keys and coins, then you may want to get a protector. I have used all my iPhones in an old Treo belt clip and have no had any issues with any of them.

3. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Stop it! There was a thread on another board on this. The oleophobic coating is NOT scratch resistant! There was a thread several pages long with 3GS owners who treated their phones gently and carefully and even with NO keys and coins the screen still scratched! So please, don't be ignorant there are PLENTY of people who did scratch the screen and keys and coins were NOT involved!

To the OP, I had a 3GS in my pocket WITHOUT keys or coins and pocket lint did scratch it slightly. When I asked the Genius bar about the coating, the guy told me that it was just a marketing gimmick and that I should buy a screen protector.

4. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

i owned all 3 iPhones and babied all of them. I had a couple of defective 3Gs and all three had scratches (small) on the screen. Never had a problem with the original or 3G.

5. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

My 3gs has 2 significant scratches. It has quite a few tiny little ones that I contribute to the oleophobic coating, but the two I'm referring two obviously involve the glass screen itself.

I may just be a bitch to my technology though, because even my 2009 13" MBP has a 1/2" scratch near the center of the screen. My theory is that I've used the equipment near the beach, and sand is strong enough to scratch the glass.

I'm trying to decide if I want to use a protector for iPhone 4 for a while, but I know the protectors mess with the oleophobic coating and I also don't quite like the way they look and feel.

6. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I didn't think my iPhone 3GS's screen had any scratches. Then, when I wiped it down so it would look better in photos for eBay, in specific light it appears that the coating has a few hairline scratches. I've never had this problem before the oleophobic coating. I only keep my iPhone in my pocket without anything else, and nothing other than a finger has ever touched the screen. Not a big deal since it's only noticeable under very certain lighting. I just hope Apple improved the coating for the iPhone 4.

7. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

"Oleophobic" does not mean scratch-proof. The oleophobic coating is designed to make the oils from finger/face smudges look less apparent on the 3GS's screen. All this coating does is make your phone look less dirty.

I used the screen protector that came with the case I bought (Moshi iGlaze) and it's amazing.. I've had my iPhone for a while now and I have absolutely no scratches :D

8. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Yes, but the oleophobic coating is what is being scratched unless the scratches are very deep. The glass itself was proven difficult to scratch on the iPhone and iPhone 3G.

9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I really put a lot of time on mine. It's in my hand at least 90% of the time. Never use a case or a screen protector since that would defeat the benefit of the oleophobic coating. My screen is perfect, just like new. I use tons of data & I'm so happy I get to keep my unlimited plan.

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I had one itty-bitty scratch (hairline, about 1/8" long) near the bottom-left of the screen, but it wasn't immediately noticeable in normal use. My phone went naked and I didn't exactly pamper it. Then again, I also made sure not to throw change or keys or anything remotely jagged into that pocket.

11. Farfooz macrumors member

Farfooz

had my iphone up until last week, sold it. not a scratch on it. my bro gives me his old 3gs, white...i think some people on these forums would cry if they saw the screen...its so scratched and scuffed the entire screen is blurry

12. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Oh yea here is my 3gs click for a bigger picture.

[​IMG]

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Do you regularly fill your pockets with playground sand or little bunches of steel wool?

14. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

No scratch at all. I have a screen protector. It's better to be safe than sorry...

15. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

No, something even harder! Cotton!

16. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I thought my 3GS didn't have any scratches since it's very new (I got a replacement so it's only 2 months old), but I discovered a while back that it actually has scratches. I baby the phone and don't throw it or slide it around. I think more of our phones have scratches than we actually suspect, but they're only very small ones seen under the correct angles.

17. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

Some of you guys treat your phones like they are plastic toys. I could never understand why some people don't invest in at least a cheap silicon case.

18. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

cases are unnecessary....ive always gone naked and so far, nothing has happened.

I work in a glass shop, we have broken glass all over the place and if i were to set my phone screen down, im sure it would be alllll messed up.

19. Advil macrumors 6502a

oleophobic coating has nothing to do with scratch resistance.

20. jap1198 macrumors 6502

I had a case which completely jacked up the back of my 3GS. It also left marks on the front. But when I got a replacement 3GS, I kept it caseless and I didn't have a single scratch on it. :)

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I've had a screen protector on mine since day one because the anti fingerprint coating wore off after two months. When Apple replaced the phone, I put a protector on it right away.

My 3G iPhone has two minor scratches on it.

22. BobHail macrumors 6502a

I think the 3GS (because of the oleophobic coating) scratches way easier than 3G. But on the other hand it smudges way less than 3G, which is very nice. So it´s kinda hard choise between "two evils". :confused:

23. irich25 macrumors regular

dropped my iphone 2g and the screen protector cracked :p

24. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I was waiting for one of these comments to come along from someone who really doesn't get it. The "OMG, U has diamondz in ur pocketz" group caught onto reality long ago. Try to keep up.

1) The coating is not NEARLY as hard as the glass and can be scratched relatively easy.

2) Yes, even the glass can be scratched by many items, even sharp plastic. It doesn't take sand, diamonds, or something like that.

Now, move along and propagate some other myth.