Have you successfully exchanged your iPhone 4 after jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by palmerc2, Dec 10, 2010.

1. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Hello all, I have searched online for an answer but cannot find a thread that is newer than July. When iOS4 and the iPhone 4 first came out there was the claim from apple that if you jailbreak the iPhone 4 / iOS4, even if you revert it to factory settings, apple will still be able to tell and not give you a replacement because it will void your warranty. Some speculated because it puts an imprint on the NAND ram (or something like that).

Where does that statement stand right now? If you have an iPhone 4, jailbroke it, then reverted it back to factory settings, did you get a replacement? That is the only thing stopping me right now from jailbreaking. I just don't want to void my warranty, that's all.....

Thanks!

2. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

Restore as new and you will be fine. There will be no evidence of a jailbroken phone.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Make sure it is a DFU restore and DO NOT....(again.... DO NOT) restore from your Backup, Just set it up as a new phone, or take it just like that with nothing on it.

After a fresh DFU restore any trace of JB is gone.

4. Kayan macrumors 6502

Oh...so there is a difference between just hitting the Restore button in iTunes and putting your iPhone in DFU before hitting the Restore button?

5. SA22C macrumors regular

There is, but I'm not sure it matters. I sent my JB'd iPhone 4 back for service and all I did was a wipe all content and restore.

6. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Cool thanks a lot!

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've had my iPhone 4 replaced twice; both times I took it in jailbroken. No problem. ;)

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You must of had a pro-jailbreak genius. Most of the time, they'll just tell you to walk out the store.

9. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'd LOVE to see them try that with me.

If it were ever made an issue with me, I'd simply ask them to restore it there. They have plenty of computers; restoring the phone would only take a few minutes. That said, I've only had iPhones replaced for hardware problems - if they gave me a hard time about my jailbreak, I'd simply make them explain to me how the jailbreak has anything to do with (for example) dust under the screen, cracks around the headphone jack, etc. IOW, it's a complete non-issue.

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

It's even a greater feeling when you know more about the iPhone then they do.

11. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

since my phone is out of warranty and its jb'd, then would it even matter for their service? the only reason you dont want to bring in a jb phone is that you'll lose warranty correct?

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

all you need to do is restore I have exchanged tp previously jb phones. technically jb voids you warranty but it's hard to prove. I also personally took a jb phone in for service when I didn't know better. the genus told me to restore it and bring it back. i did with no further issues. stickies up at the top discuss much more about this at the top of the forum.

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

He told you to restore it and bring it back?? For what purpose? If they're really concerned about it being jailbroken, they can restore it there, themselves. Talk about lazy! :mad:

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

no not lazy they are not supposed to service jb devices. he did me a huge favor. some Genus are cool with jbing some are not but Apple policy are not, if a iphone is restored then there is no issue!

15. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wow. I guess I have just been insanely lucky with the dozen or so exchanges I've done over the years (first time was Fall 2007) with jailbroken devices. I've never once bothered restoring any of the iPod touches, iPhones and iPads I've had replaced at either of the Apple Stores here in Tokyo, and every one of them has been jailbroken when I took it in. Odd ...