Have you switched to Android? Experiences?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by juan.medin, Aug 24, 2010.

1. juan.medin macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm an Apple user (MPB, iPad, iPhone, router, etc) so the iPhone was perfect: it integrated with my Mac like a breeze and I had everything synchronized.

I need to buy a new mobile now, but the iPhone 4 is making me change my mind: the antenna problem, the provider lock-in (a big problem for me since I travel a lot lately and data plans are abusive outside your own country) and their position against jail-breaking the device (that gave me some relief).

So I need to move on and, as much as I love the iPhone, wait until Apple provides a selling policy that makes sense for me. My questions are for those who are using Android.

- Does it synchronize to your Mac so flawlessly as your iPhone?
    - Do you usually miss some application that you had before in the App store for the iPhone?
    - How are the Apps quality compared to the iPhone: similar, worse or better?
    - Does it have games with the same quality of the iPhone?

Any (sincere) opinion would be really welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    Juan

2. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

My big question, can you use iTunes to sync movies/music/etc to android based phones?

3. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I left the iPhone in February when I switched to the Nexus One. From there, I went to the Incredible and then the Evo, before coming back to the iPhone.

- Does it synchronize to your Mac so flawlessly as your iPhone? It's not as flawless as the iPhone. You can sync contacts and calendar with Gmail and then sync Gmail with the Mac, but I've already had issues with that.

- Do you usually miss some application that you had before in the App store for the iPhone? I missed the games a lot. That's probably the main reason I returned to the iPhone.

- How are the Apps quality compared to the iPhone: similar, worse or better? Definitely worse. Same applications don't function as well.

- Does it have games with the same quality of the iPhone? See Above

I didn't dislike the android. I rooted (aka jailbroke) the Android phones and had lots of fun with the ROMs.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

- It syncs to my Mac fine. You can use programs like SongBird or DoubleTwist to emulate the iTunes experience. However, it isn't as flawless. Contacts, calendars have been on Google's servers even when I had an iPhone, so that wasn't an issue.

- GoodReader and Rowmote Pro are by far the best applications I have used on the iPhone and I do miss them.

- Apps are good for my purposes, you can find an equivalent Android app for an iPhone app and the other way around. So, similar.

- Games are not to par with the iPhone.

5. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

I'm actually considering leaving android and going to iOS. I love my nexus one, but I'm getting bored with Android. I like where its headed, but I don't like what the manufacturers are doing to it. Between Touchwiz, Sense, Blur, etc, its hard to really find many stock Android phones.

iOS will of course play better with my MBP, but there are programs such as doubletwist (for the Mac and the actual device) and Songbird that take away iTunes. Keep in mind that it still isn't as easy as just syncing all your info with iTunes. Its more seamless with iOS and iTunes. I use a healthy amount of google services, so outside of syncing music I never really had to be attached to a computer for anything, so thats a plus if you already use google services.

Another thing to keep in mind, you may experience a drop off in quality of apps. I've been to the apple store playing with the iPhone 4, and quickly noticed that in most cases the apps were designed better and looked a bit more high quality. And there are far more games on iOS.

All in all, I don't think you really can go wrong with Android. Just keep in mind that skinned systems take far longer to update. I have a nexus one so pretty much get the new versions on release. But there are some phones perpetually stuck on 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, etc. To me the Nexus is the best phone I've owned, I'm just getting bored with what they have to offer at the moment. Maybe that will change with gingerbread. Good luck