Have you Switched to Safari in SL?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macfan881, Sep 19, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Ive been using Firefox for a while but since i updated to snow leopard ive been hooked on Safari i think its a lil speedier than firefox at the moment and since Last Pass and Xmarks are both on safari there really isnt anything im missing on Firefox that I Have on safari right now

2. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

firefox 3.5 really saw a nice speed boost on mac os x, but safari is still way faster (loading and page rendering). But i still need firefox for web dev stuff and i love the read it later plugin.

3. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I've used Firefox for the last several years, I'm not turning my back on it now! Although, Safari is 64-bit, opens much faster, but I just like the feel of Firefox. I keep Safari, though, just in case.

4. Catch-22 macrumors newbie

I've been using Firefox since around version 1.5. Yes it's a bit slower than Safari but that's never actually bothered me. Firefox is relatively fast, secure and reliable. Also, I love the addons; Xmarks, British Dictionary (very handy for forums) and most of all, Adblock. I did try out Safari when I switched to Mac but just didn't get attached to it the way I did with Firefox.

5. quactaur macrumors newbie

Other than the stuff that I'd consider "regular" on an OSX install,

Flash
    WMV
    Quicktime
    Ilife/iwork plugins

The only *other* plugins I run on Safari are:

Divx webplayer
    1Password

That's it. Nothing too kooky or weird, and one of those only comes into play on a small number of sites I visit.

Despite that, I get beachballs. All the damn time. It's absolutely infuriating, that I sometimes have to wait upto 10 seconds to click a link that Firefox would have ready straight away.

Firefox crashes. In fact it crashes more than safari (safari has only crashed twice compared to ffox's 15 or so in my current experience on SL). But when it crashes, I can be back up and browsing, tabs restored, in a couple of seconds. Meanwhile, Safari keeps beachballing.

I want to love safari. I really do. I miss not having full services and scripts capabilities with Devonthink and the like when I'm on FF. But Firefox works. It might be a tad slower than Safari, especially when you're dealing with javascript heavy sites like gmail, but it doesn't beachball. It doesn't lock up. It crashes occasionally, but then its right up again and ready to go, and has at least given me feedback on which site caused it to crash!. There's nothing left for Safari anymore. Once Mozilla work in full services support I'll never even consider going back. What's there to miss. Webkit is faster, but the rendering engine's speed is a complete second fiddle to the browser's stability. Safari used to be much prettier than FFox, but http://www.takebacktheweb.org means that Firefox can be far better looking, in so many different ways too, than Safari. There's no reason to use it at all.

/rage

6. mac2x macrumors 65816

I use and like both. I'm still on OS 10.5.8 FWIW. I only have minimal crashes on either. On Safari, you can open all windows and tabs from the last session from the History menu.

7. DMunky168 macrumors newbie

Anyone experiencing CPU usage problem under Firefox in SL? It just goes way too high for my liking...