Have you traded your iPhone 4 for something new?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by owmygulay, Jan 17, 2011.

1. owmygulay macrumors member

I am thinking about selling my iPhone 4 and getting something else. I have not really had any problems with it and still think it is a great phone. It is just my third iPhone and I am kinda tired of the iOS. Has anybody on here done the same thing? What did you get? Do you like it better than the iPhone? As a past iPhone user, how do you like android or windows phones? I was thinking about the HTC HD7 or the HTC desire.

2. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

3. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Why not go to Android's forums or something? Do you kno that you are on an IPHONE forum. Meaning 99% of people here probably still own an iPhone and can't answer your question. That being said, I bet you'll come crawling back once you see how laggy and fragmented android is.

4. owmygulay thread starter macrumors member

Very good point.

5. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Just saying man, this might not be the best forum to get that opinion. Then again, going to an android forum, those flamers are just going to say something about how closed iPhone iOS is and tell you to ditch it this instant.

6. tac22 macrumors 6502

Yep I sold my iPhone 4 , for something new... Another iPhone 4.
    I still consider it knew and it's far superior IMHO than any of the android phones, I'm interested

But serieously I already sold my iPhone 4 to get the iPhone 4 on verizon.

Early termination fees are overrated

$600 sold
    -$50 eBay
    -$275 ETF
    = $275 for verizon iPhone 4

Anyways, go for it if you want, I've been considering picking up an android device so I can take the os for a long spin. Sure I can say it's pretty laggy every time I go into the store to test it. But Im actually open to seeing what the upsides to an android phone is.

7. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Well, I haven't traded my phone for anything yet, but I probably will sometime this year. I did get to use an evo for a while, and I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't have any issues using it based on the OS, and I didnt have any lag using it with 2.2. My stepdads evo with 2.1 did lag slightly and wasn't as smooth as 2.2, but not terrible. I would put an evo running 2.2 in the same realm as the ip4 on speed. I'd wait untill later in the year before buying anything since phones coming out this year will be lots more powerful than anything from last year. I am interested to see what htc will put out this year.

8. coynedanielle macrumors newbie

Well, I did. I traded mine against Nokia N900. I was bored with iPhone and wanted to use some different platform. So, I chose to try a linux platform. I checked Voxcorp and they are offering the phone with their VoIP services in a monthly package so I grabbed the offer. And let me tell you folks, the phone is awesome and with the cheap international calls from Voxcorp, it made my phone like heaven for me.

9. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

Well I am selling my Android device for an iPhone 4. Have fun with android it is pretty cool if you like cutting edge technology that can be customized. Other than that it has to many bugs and is pretty ugly especially with another companies skin over it like sense, motoblur, and ninjablur. Good luck syncing it with your computer. When android comes out with a new version good luck getting that on your phone ever. At least with Apple you receive the updates until your hardware is out of date and that is at least 2 years and would be due for an upgrade at that point. I have had an android for over a year and a half and while it is kinda cool in someways why trade something that works so perfectly imo for a buggy fragmented device that will be obsolete yesterday.

10. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Macforums must be selling the koolaid by the keg. lol :rolleyes:

Go here for the ultimate Android advice, will have your Droid running circles around the stale and outdated iPhone.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php

11. eldub macrumors newbie

I've Been Down This Road Before

Not precisely on point, but in the past year, I switched from iPhone 3GS to Blackberry (the Curve on Virgin) and then to android (the Intercept on Virgin). My reason for switching was AT&T's poor coverage and non-existent 3G in my area. After spending time with BB and Android, I am now strongly considering returning to iPhone with the Verizon iPhone 4. Why? Ease of use, apps, and availability (finally) on the carrier with the best coverage where I live (in comparison to AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile).

Blackberry is especially limiting due to its OS (Virgin's Curve runs OS 5). Although you can email, text, BBM, check facebook and twitter, get RSS feeds, play music, read books on the kindle app and do some limited web surfing, the user experience overall is limited in comparison to both Android and iOS. In general, everything is slower, especially any attempt at browsing the web.

Android is a better OS than BB and offers a user interface similar to iPhone in terms of ease of use, features and apps, but for me it was not quite as good. Part of that was the hardware I was using (the Virgin Intercept) and part of that was the carrier (Virgin piggybacks on Sprint which is better than AT&T but weaker than Verizon in my area). I was able to sync my music, surf the web, and sync multiple email accounts and calendars with gmail and google calendar. The majority of the most popular iPhone apps are available on android. The user interface on my particular phone, while better than BB in most ways, was not nearly as good as iPhone/iOS. There are a lot more things to fiddle with on android if you like to do that.

I have tested various higher end android phones (Samsung Mesmerize, HTC Desire, Motorola Droid, HTC Droid Incredible) and while they are very good smartphones, they are not clearly superior to iPhone. HTC's Sense UI is very appealing and coupled with the design and build quality of the Desire, presents the closest thing to the iPhone that I personally tested (IMHO). If you are curious about android, I would recommend you pick two or three of the newest high-end models on the best carrier for where you live and then go put your hands on them to determine which one offers the best build quality and has the best user interface. I recommend trying a variant of the Samsung Galaxy S, an HTC model and a Motorola model. Then compare your favorite phone, the cost of the accompanying plan and coverage with your current iPhone 4.

Lastly, if you live in an area with great 4G coverage, that may be a factor you want to consider as well. All 4 major carriers have some version of 4G in many major markets in the U.S. and for now, if you want to get in on that, then your only choice is android.

Best of luck to you. Sorry for such a long post. It is a topic near and dear to my heart.

12. Wateroksnmud macrumors regular

Switched to Verizon in October and got the droid x. I HATE IT! but I love my service. I'm counting the hours till I get back onto an iOS platform. As for my girlfriend, she got the incredible and we both believe it's a much better phone than the DX, but she misses her iPhone as well. I suggest anything but the DX.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Due to the antenna issue I returned mine and went back to my old 3GS. I have a work Droid X and its not as good.