Have you updated to 1.1.2?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Aaleck, Nov 15, 2007.

?

Have you updated to 1.1.2

1. Yes and jail broke it

45.6%
  2. Yes but have not jail broke it

5.3%
  3. No, staying with jail broken 1.1.1

31.6%
  4. No, keeping the original 1.1.1

1.8%
  5. Haven't yet, but thinking about it

15.8%
  1. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Just wondering how many people have made the switch...myself, im staying with 1.1.1 because i know it works and i dont have any problems with it (no bugs, glitches, or anything else that im aware of)

2. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

1.1.2 update and jailbreak was easy and went smoothly for me on a MacBook. It was worth it for the general speed improvement.

Others have had problems though. Although some people run into problems with even just jailbreakme.com.

I would say do it if you have a couple of hours to spare, just in case you run into problems and need to restore back to 1.1.1 and then re-jailbreak and install stuff from that.

3. Aaleck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

You sure its faster? Because I know a lot of people just think it is because thats why they want to see and such... and whats exactly faster? and if you update does it erase everything? (assuming everything goes without any problems the first time, because if it doesn't you will have to restore)

4. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I'm pretty sure, but it's a purely subjective observation since I didn't time anything. What I notice is that web pages seem to load faster, and I able able to pan around web pages better before the page has completed loading. I'm pretty sure that loading time of ebooks in Books.app has decreased. I also installed Apache for offline document viewing, and am pretty sure that stuff loads faster there too. I wouln't call it night and day though, because the Touch was a pretty quick little unit in 1.1.1 anyway IMO.

It's not a super huge deal, I wouldn't have upgraded if it seemed extremely unreliable, or would have take a long time. I have a MacBook, so just followed the exact instructions and didn't have to try a PPC 'beta' or anything like that.

The update will erase your 3rd party and iPhone apps, but just about everything else is preserved- data from those apps, your music and movies, even all your emails are still there. You just need to re-install your old apps in Installer, and basically you have your old Touch back except updated to 1.1.2.

EDIT- There's a repository you can add in Installer.app that has the 1.1.2 iPhone apps. Once you do that, re-enabling the iPhone apps is easy too (the 1.1.1 versions don't work.)

5. tennez macrumors regular

Can you post how you did it?
    Mine is jailbreak already and I haven;t update.

Thanks

6. Aaleck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Ahh, I see. Thats good because I did a lot of manual customization and wouldn't want it to go to waste, though I know I could just stfp it to my computer then move it back over after the update.

Yeah I added that already and tested it out on Stocks (since I never installed it when I did the 1.1.1 jailbreak with the other mobileapps, works perfectly

I saw a couple of ways to do it or at the very least a few people posting the same one in different words, i'm still trying to determine what one is better

7. Football1maniac macrumors regular

Football1maniac

I feel much safer with a 1.1.2 Jailbroken iPod. Besides, I know eventually everyone else with upgrade, and I just wanted to relive memories when I originally Jailbroke my iPod. ;):apple:

8. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

I jailbroke mine again, and have to say that it feels smoother, if not faster. This could be because I don't have as much installed on it, but it felt a little jumpy in 1.1.1. Now it feels smooth as butter...or margarine if that's your thing.

9. verbalist macrumors member

i tried up dating to 1.1.2(hell firmware) and i used okto prepe then updated then i am doen and what happens the stupid lil spinning disk so i just boutgh a 1.1.1 and re hacked and sycned my music

im keeping 1.1.1 for ever unless they release some out of control firmware where i can inherit the talents of a Shaolin monk

10. tennez macrumors regular

I want to encourage those people to jailbreak to 1.1.2.
    It really is better because:

* It is snapier and smoother
    * Safari is fast and it is able to pick up a better signal (better reception)
    * It took me less than 10 minutes to jailbreak it. (I had it jailbreak in 1.1.1)
    * You really gonna like it.

Good Luck

11. Aaleck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

What one did you use?

12. tennez macrumors regular

What on what?
    I used that 1.1.2. jailbreak files for windoes and mac...and I did on my macbook

13. iShak macrumors 6502

I did, and jailbroke it as well ...

to be honest I wasn't sure about the update but I am happy that I did it because although I don't see ANY speed improvements however this update HAS indeed fixed the audiobooks bug ... now the iPod actually remembers the bookmark correctly ..