Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you used eSIM before?

• I haven't used eSIM.

Votes: 32 28.8%
  • I've used eSIM previously, and it was a good experience.

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • I'm currently using eSIM, but it's been a bad experience.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I'm currently using eSIM, but it's been a good experience.

Votes: 64 57.7%
  • Something else (leave a comment).

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
It's clear that eSIM is a controversial tool. Some people couldn't be more excited to ditch physical SIM cards and trays. Others are looking at it with a much more critical, even cynical, eye.

I'm curious how many have actually used eSIM, either currently or in the past, and what their experience was with it.

For this poll, I'm keeping things simple: select whether you've used eSIM and whether your overall experience was good or bad. I understand that not everyone's answer might be so cut and dry, so feel free to elaborate in the comments, even if you were simply indifferent.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
eSIM for the last few years here (UK) - Just make sure you wipe the right phone, I speak from expirience LOL
I had to have my QR sent in the post for some reason - Meaning no cellular for a few days (ie no MFA due to sending SMS codes!).

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I've been using eSims since they came out on iPhone XS? For me the biggest benefit was I finally had a dual-sim capable iPhone as a result. I used that to great effect when traveling.

Most recently I've had my primary carrier on my physical sim of my iPhone 12 Pro Max, and a downloaded eSim from Airalo for my destination country. I'd use eSim for both if my phone supported it.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
The iPhone asked me if i wanted to switch to eSIM when i was transfering from 12Mini to 13Mini and it was a seemless experience. (I think my carrier was one of the first ones who supported switching like that)

Not had any problems.

Gsxr750

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2022
Using esim on my 13pm now. No difference from the physical sim other than physical sim just isn’t there

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I tried to set up a separate line with another carrier using the eSIM on my 13PM last year and it was a nightmare so I just gave up. Not looking forward to eSIM only.

lsara

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
I use eSIM when I travel overseas. I'm currently trying out Visible and am using eSIM with them in the US to test their network. I've found eSIM very easy to use.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I come from physical SIMs so eSIM will be new this year with my 14 incoming.

I know transferring current to new phone will be easy, but how do I use another country's physical SIM on my new 14 if they don't offer eSIM ???

Gsxr750

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2022

I know transferring current to new phone will be easy, but how do I use another country's physical SIM on my new 14 if they don't offer eSIM ???
You dont

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008

You don't. Look into Global eSim data aggregators like Airalo, US Mobile, tons of others. You can buy a data-only eSim for pretty much every country in the world.

Rider3

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
My opinion is eSim only phones is the biggest mistake Apple has made.
As an example: I'm unloading my boat at an lake 20 miles from nowhere, I drop my 13P on the rocks and now it's useless.
I go to my truck, get my SE3 backup, pop in the Sim card from the 13P and go fishing.

Same scenario with a 14 eSim only. Put the boat back on the trailer, drive 20 plus miles to civilization and try to find an Apple store. Fishing trip over. No, thanks.
I'll will keep my 13's until they disintegrate.

wysiwyg1972

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Esim can be good when your provider supports them, but Apple needs to mandate how they can be transfered. Everyone should be able to transfer them from a device to another without the need to involve your provider (It should be done within the OS). Right now, some support easy transfers, some don’t and we know how this can become a major cash grab.

Otherwise, we are heading back to the TDMA and CDMA days where we were at the mercy of of providers when switching devices and many of us like to flip from one to another for testing, travel, etc..

I’m in Canada, so safe for now, but for how long?

Last edited:

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
My opinion is eSim only phones is the biggest mistake Apple has made.
As an example: I'm unloading my boat at an lake 20 miles from nowhere, I drop my 13P on the rocks and now it's useless.
I go to my truck, get my SE3 backup, pop in the Sim card from the 13P and go fishing.

Same scenario with a 14 eSim only. Put the boat back on the trailer, drive 20 plus miles to civilization and try to find an Apple store. Fishing trip over. No, thanks.
I'll will keep my 13's until they disintegrate.
Yeah, its like when they got rid of the floppy disk on the iMac. So my boss hands me a Word document on a floppy, what am I supposed to do?

Reactions: compwiz1202

Rider3

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Yeah, its like when they got rid of the floppy disk on the iMac. So my boss hands me a Word document on a floppy, what am I supposed to do?
I know! However, I don't think I'd take my iMac to the lake.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
I started using eSIM when it came out on Verizon, then switched back to a SIM card with T-Mobile. Now it seems most carriers allow you to do eSIM swaps through their app. Just switched back to eSIM and worked within 2 minutes. I'm in.

trekkie604

macrumors 68000
Feb 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Switching phones using esim requires cooporation of your carrier. That sucks for us that frequently swap phones iPhone to Android and those that travel and require a local number (I've used Airalo for data-only esims). For my personal phone that sucks a lot.

I have esim in my work phone and couldn't care less about it since I never have to touch it until a hardware refresh.

Reactions: arkitect

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
I think it is just that initial growing pains.

In the long term eSIM will be better for consumers as you’ll be able to easily swap carriers and easily have multiple carriers on your device at one time. Increasing competition amongst carriers.

wysiwyg1972

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Easy, as long as carrier supports it. In Canada, most charge a fee to order or switch from one device to another.

Also, “You need to be connected to iOS 16” LOL

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
I am currently using eSIM and my experience couldn't have been better. I can change devices as many times as I need without needing to call my carrier once unless doing overseas then I only need to call them so they drop the current eSIM from their system as deleting eSIM while overseas doesn't reflect on their system causing the app not to issue a new QR code to scan.

Reactions: Steelhead1957
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.