Have you weighed your MBP presicely?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pagga, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    Apple.com says 2.99 kilo or 6,59 pund for a 17" and 2.49 kilo or 5.48 punds for a 15"

My 17" (specs listed in sig) weighes exactely
    2.97 kilograms or 6.54 punds

How about yours?

P

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Don't forget that different kinds of data weigh more. Music weighs less than video and applications vary depending on whether they are Universal Binary or not. Free drive space, while not exactly weightless, weighs very little.

3. Tracer macrumors 6502

It would be interesting to see the difference in weight between a SSD and traditional HDD.

Tracer

4. Pagga thread starter macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    Quote: "Don't forget that different kinds of data weigh more. Music weighs less than video and applications vary depending on whether they are Universal Binary or not. Free drive space, while not exactly weightless, weighs very little."

So your saying it´s a silly topic? What can I say, I like details

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Nope I'm saying that there are more details than you are taking into account.

6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Did you do this when the MBP was on or off? Everyone knows that as it gets hotter, everything expands and gets bigger, thus weighing more. If you MBP were cold, that would explain the discrepancy.

7. kezman macrumors newbie

LOL... i so hope you're being serious.

8. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

What, are you trying to say that the spec weight is the room temperature weight? How would that make any sense?

9. p.luik macrumors regular

Size and weight have no correlation. Not in the terms your speaking in.

10. RKpro macrumors 6502

LoL!!!!!!!!!! fell out of my chair laughing, sorry..

edit: things indeed do expand when heated, but it does not gain any more mass, so temperature does has no influence on weight.

11. Goettel macrumors member

Just to clear thing up: The weight of an object depends on the quantity of matter that it contains. For example, 12 grams of pure carbon contain 1 mole of molecules (6.022 x 10^23 molecules). Now the volume occupied by this weight of carbon depends on its temperature and at what pressure it is measured. In fact, the hotter it is and the less the pressure is strong, the further apart the individual atoms will be and, hence, more volume will be occupied. The weight remains constant as the number of carbon atoms remain constant.

12. kezman macrumors newbie

If you've got reeeaaallyyy sensitive scales the weight (or perceived weight at least) would actually decrease because of the increased buoyancy force, but thats on a whole new level of anal retentivity.

13. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

This is one of those untold truths about actual design that you guys don't get because you didn't go to a real engineering school.

This is one of the drawbacks of using all metal/aluminum housing like the Apple notebooks over the plastic designs of PC competitors. One, the coefficient of thermal expansion is higher in metals than in plastics so the Apples expand more. This is one of the reasons why your Mac feels so hot on your lap. As it expands, it touches more of your lap, thus increasing the thermal conductivity of the metal. It also pushes down into your lap more as it gets heavier. Notice how bacon sizzles more when you push down with the spatula? That's because its getting hotter as you push more weight onto it.

What you guys with your 9th grade physics understanding of F=ma don't get is that as an object gets bigger, there is more of it for gravity to pull on. That's the difference between Newton and Einstein.

14. mcMacnewbie macrumors newbie

6.05 llbs

my anti-glare 17" SSD weighs just over 6llbs!! A nice surprise :p

15. kezman macrumors newbie

lol, you're trying to teach physics to someone with a masters in aerospace engineering and a year into a fluid mechanics PhD :p. I think you might want to retake that 9th grade physics class.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

17. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I, too have an engineering degree and graduate degrees.

I, too have done some serious fluid mechanics at a graduate level. BUT, its a different field from materials science and relativity, which is what we're talking about.

Besides, you were the guy who was hoping I was being serious.

18. RKpro macrumors 6502

Acceleration due to gravity (a) doesn't change, mass of the MBP (m) doesn't change, how would weight change when it's hot?

SSD are a bit lighter, and you're missing the giant sheet of glass, so you must have one of the lightest 17inch notebooks in the world, if you remove the superdrive, it will be even closer to the 15" MBP.

19. Hydroxs macrumors regular

When an object it hot, it moves air currents around them so there would be weight different vs. cold. It won't matter unless you have a digital scale that reads to the 0.001 g lol

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

so this topic is hardly worth the effort is it...

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

22. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Please tell me you didn't go to an engineering school, because that's just plain wrong.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Funny post. I really can't believe people here are taking you seriously. ;)

Would it really? :p

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think that quite enough people have weighed in on this topic....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.