Have your very own mac mini server

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
www.macminiservers.com

I found this web site today. This company offers a service to host your web site from a mac mini at their facility. You lease the mac mini for $2 a day and its all yours. Seems like a neat idea because companies can stack them up without a monitor.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Seems like quite a good idea. I'd hardly say it's robust and reliable though. A 4200RPM laptop drive with no redundancy spinning 24hrs a day does not seem to be all that reliable to me, no matter what OS is running on it.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
edesignuk said:
Seems like quite a good idea. I'd hardly say it's robust and reliable though. A 4200RPM laptop drive with no redundancy spinning 24hrs a day does not seem to be all that reliable to me, no matter what OS is running on it.
good point but i'm sure they put thought into this for awhile. They may have upgraded the drives.

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
This is ridiculous.

who in the frick cares what machine they're stuff is hosted on. You'll never even see it. you'll never even know if it was a mac mini.

NEWS FLASH: $2 a day is not a good deal. they want $20/month, which is $240 a year. I've got some domains that run on some 2.4 ghz P4 Linux machines with 1Gb ram and SCSI hard drives. Not to mention daily backups are included in the service plan. guess how much it costs? $3.50 a month. that's 11.1 cents a day for you math scholars out there.

it may not be a pretty server, but when I punch up my web domains, guess what? they're always there.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Edesignuk, what makes 3.5 inch drives any better or more reliable.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
edesignuk said:
Woah! Hold up - does this mean I can not leave a mac mini on 24/7 when if get one??? I do that to my PC...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
dotdotdot said:
Woah! Hold up - does this mean I can not leave a mac mini on 24/7 when if get one??? I do that to my PC...
You can leave it on. A Mac spins down the disk when it's idle.
A server can't afford the luxary of spinning its disks down and back up. The delay would be unreasonable.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
well, i use asmallorange for my hosting needs, you cant bea the price + the service.

But I would definitely get something like this for QuickTime Streaming. Just dump OSX server on it, and you're done.

Whoever set this whole thing up has done well do get everything sorted within 1 month!

/asif

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
edesignuk said:
3.5" disks in RAID or backed up to tape drive etc. Neither of whch they will be doing with these Minis.
OK, I thought you ment that just the drive in the mini was no good, not the backup system that they were running for the minis.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
Bear said:
You can leave it on. A Mac spins down the disk when it's idle.
A server can't afford the luxary of spinning its disks down and back up. The delay would be unreasonable.
you can set your drives not to "sleep" at all... the one inmy G5 is allways 'on' because I hated the delay when running photoshop and waiting for the drive to kick in when I wanted to save or open a file...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.