Haven't had time to purchase my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CindysD, Apr 26, 2015.

1. CindysD macrumors newbie

Life has had me quite busy, but one thing that I noticed and stuck in my mind was this site.
    www.staingate.org
    and this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1856462

I'm sort of hesitant to purchase one because of the obvious concern of the screen having issues and then having to pay for a repair which no one really should since it's obvious it's a manufacturing defect.

The other concern is my friend who is somewhat tech-savvy suggested I go with a laptop that has a dedicated graphics card and not integrated like the 13" pro, but that 15" with the dedicated card is way out of my budget.

So my question is, is the 13" good enough to do picture and video editing if it is integrated? I'm somewhat torn now as to what to get.

2. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Apple has a great return policy. Get the 13", and if it's not working out for you, return it. I wouldn't spend $2500 on that 15" model unless you had a professional reason to be mobile with a dGPU.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm pretty sure this isn't a widespread problem. Just buy the Mac that fits your needs and your budget and enjoy!

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Depends

What sort of video you are editing what effects you are using what software you use etc etc etc.

I would look at the 15 inch without the dGPU, as a refurb (late 2013 or mid 2014 model which are currently unavailable in the refurb store), you can get really good deals and the IRIS Pro is good with video editing and photos, just not so good with CUDA accelerated software or gaming.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For image and/or video editing the 15" rMBP is better suited, even the iGPU model. The iGPU on the 15" rMBP is superior to the 13" rMBP.

The flaking off of the anti-glare coating concerns me, though my 2012 rMBP has not exhibited any signs of this [yet]. I'm a little concerned but there's nothing I can do about it.

6. CindysD thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh,the damn flaking.
    I'm at wit's end now.
    Need something soon and I really hate Windows 8.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just buy one. Seriously, it isn't a widespread problem.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I've yet to see this in real life - and I come across lots of these things.

I have it down to one of two things:

- An extremely limited manufacturing fault
    - People using chemicals/harsh cloths to clean the screen

The middle lines are people who eat things like crisps (chips) while using the machine and don't clean the keyboard.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Hopefully this will settle your worries.

Let's make something abundantly clear. Go ahead and go on any forum dedicated to any product. Any at all. Most of the threads you'll see are about problems with the product.

What you see in those forums or websites is usually a (very) vocal minority that is having problems with a product that is pumped out by the millions.

Nobody bothers to look up Macrumors on Google, sign up for the forums, navigate to the correct one only to post a thread saying "Hey everyone, my computer works just as expected and I really like it" only to disappear afterwards.

When something works well, people tend to forget it's there, you won't hear a word about the item. You'll hear them piss and moan when it has problems though. These computers are pumped out by the millions every year, and look at how many people are actually complaining about the infamous staingate? A thousand, perhaps two? It's a safe bet that there are 30-50 million rMBP's out there, perhaps more. Apple sells between 3 and 5 million Macs per quarter, most of them laptops, the rMBP's been out since 2012. Let's go with the lowest estimate, shall we? 2015-2012 = 3, 3*4=12, 12*3=36. So let's go with 36 millions machines, give or take a few million. Let's say 30 million to go with a rounded number. Hypothetically, let's take the worst case scenario and there are 2000 affected machines out of the 30 million+ out there. That's a hair over 0.006% of all machines.

TL;DR version: go ahead and buy one, chances are you'll experience no problems at all.