Haven't recieved a single notification!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nuggetz, Apr 29, 2012.

1. nuggetz macrumors newbie

What's a guy to do to get my new iPad to send gmail notifications or anything else that's enabled to send notifications to show up in the notif area of the screen. I've gotten countless emails and hear the "ding" but the best that ever happens is that the counter on the gmail icon increments. Am I missing something. What's the notification area supposed to do.

2. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

I think by default the mail application is turned off in notification center. You'll need to go into settings to turn it on. I think... I could be wrong

3. nuggetz thread starter macrumors newbie

It was off but turning it on didn't do anything. Do I have to set up gmail a certain way?

4. eq2675 macrumors regular

Just started playing around with notifications 2 weeks ago. Really like it.

You have to enable every app that will show up in the notification center and set the settings for each enabled app. For Mail my alert style is set to "Banners"

5. nuggetz thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing's working for me. There still must be something I'm not doing that I cannot figure out. This works by default on android. I have notifications enabled in gmail in settings and no matter how many emails I send myself I get nothing except the ding sound.

6. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Take it back to Apple.

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Don't be silly. This is not a hardware issue.

I have noticed that sometimes notifications get stuck in an on/off loop, and sometimes they need a kick start.

Try this...

-Turn on all the notifications you require.
    -reboot the iPad.
    -turn the master switch for notifications OFF, then reboot again.
    -finally, flip the main switch back on for notifications, then send yourself a test email from another device. With any luck you'll be in business.

Barring that, I'd recommend a restore.

8. Arid macrumors member

Arid

There's no master switch under ios 5. :confused:

9. nuggetz thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a data reset. The option that keeps your apps but runs thru setup again and that seemed to fix it but I still think I dont always get them. Seems better though. Will have to do more testing.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

As long as the apps appear in the settings section and you have chosen "Banners" you should get them. If the problem persists, return the device for a replacement.

11. SR71, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

SR71 macrumors 68000

That isn't what he means. He means to into Settings>Notifications>Mail and then click the button that says "Notification Center" and switch it to "On". Then scroll down and enable all of the other options.

Here's a picture from my iPad. It's pretty much the same thing as on the iPhone only larger.

Click here to see the screenshot.

12. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

For Gmail, if you want push email and notifications to work, I setit up as Exchange, with m.google.com as the server.

But, you might find another way works for you...

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Except for the fact I have my "View in Lockscreen" option set to off, this is exactly how my Mail notification settings are and they work fine. See if you have these same options on or not.

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Actually that is what I meant. Didn't realize it was gone, or rather, moved.