Having 2 finger scrolling issues? Spread 'em.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mcdj, Oct 19, 2008.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I spent all last night trying to figure out my issue with 2 finger scrolling. I was getting intermittent skipping/stuttering/lag when trying to scroll.

By accident today, I used the index fingers from both hands to scroll...voila, much more consistent and smoother scrolling. Putting that discovery into practice, I've started spreading my index and middle finger slightly apart (I'm coming from a Powerbook using Sidetrack, so I've never used 2 finger scrolling...Sidetrack allows for one finger scrolling on the left/right edge)...up until then I had my fingers touching each other.

This may only apply to those of us with beefier fingers.

It seems odd that I would need to do this, but I guess the trackpad gets confused and sometimes can't tell the difference between 2 fingers and one big fat one if the fingers are too close together. It will take some getting used to, but I think it can be done, and I'm glad it doesn't appear to be a hardware issue. Of course, an update to increase the sensitivity would be nice (truth be told, Sidetrack's one finger scrolling is even nicer IMHO).

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Good tip, but I've personally never had such issue. What I have noticed is I will have issues if I think both fingers are pressing with the same force, this is usually caused if my fingernails are slightly longer than usual.

3. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Is this on the new MacBooks?

Can't say I've ever had a problem with 2 finger scroll or 2 finger tap on my first gen MacBook!

4. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Do you have small hands/fingers? With my mitts there is no doubt when there are two fingers present. :D

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have no issues on new MB. Never had 2 finger scrolling before. I absolutely love this feature. In fact, I love the new trackpad and all the gestures. Very easy to get used to.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

But would you be opposed to spreading them if necessary?

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Your wish is my command, Mistress.

8. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

After reading this post, I tried my best to get two-finger scrolling to not work. I put my fingers as close together as possible. I tried using fingertips and fingernails. I placed my fingers together vertically. Nothing I did made the scrolling not work in any way. It always worked.

Interesting.

9. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i tried with my fingers apart the tips of my fingers close toghater anything u can think of and works on my macbook, even one in one corner the other finger in other corner and works just fine