Having 2017 MBP Keyboard replaced. How much of an improvement to expect?

ninethirty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Title mostly says it. I had one of the really clicks keyboards. Double letters sometimes, no response on other keys. Keys got stuck often for no reason. I finally took it in, they confirmed immediately a full keyboard replacement and that’s happening now. How big of an improvement should I expect?

Honza1

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2013
US
Your keyboard will work. New battery. Since both keyboard and battery are same type, it will look & feel same as when it was new. I had mine fixed few months ago.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
It will work fine until it doesn't. My 2017 has had the keyboard replaced twice, the last time being about 6 weeks ago. I'm already experiencing sticking keys again, so I'm bailing out and replacing it with a 2019 16" MBP.

Reactions: robvas

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
How big of an improvement should I expect?
The improvement should be the keyboard will function as expected. Given that the butterfly keyboard is a flawed design I would temper the expectation to be one of hopeful cynicism, I.e., hope it doesn't fail but don't be surprised when it does

Natzoo

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Not sure where i am
Title mostly says it. I had one of the really clicks keyboards. Double letters sometimes, no response on other keys. Keys got stuck often for no reason. I finally took it in, they confirmed immediately a full keyboard replacement and that’s happening now. How big of an improvement should I expect?
I believe that only the 2018 models get an "upgraded" keyboard to the 2019 variant. You should not really expect any improvement, except normal functionality.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

laminarpanda

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
London
Hey, Was this covered by Apple, or did you have to pay for it?
I also have a 2017 MBP, and it's been perfectly fine until a few days ago, where one of the keys is sticking. It's only one at this point and it still works, but wondering if I should take action soon rather than later...
Cheers.