Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

migofast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Now on my 4th iPhone soon to be fifth - first one buttons froze/would not respond to touch, second screen had white line, 3rd had less than a day (no signal bug), 4th back to the first issue buttons freezing not responding to touch - all of these issues have been validated so I'm not insane....

on to my question to add to the iPhone issues. My 2008 24" iMac hard drive crashed tonight pretty much without warning I mean it hadn't been behaving funny or anything and suddenly dead - I went through the disk utility fixes etc and the drive does not show up - put the snow leopard disk in to attempt restore - no disk the only drives it shows are the dvd and external drives - thankfully most of my important files were on external drives or in the dropbox (though I was not using time machine so that kind of stinks) anyway - 90% sure this drive is dead and I need to replace it asap - I was looking on amazon and saw this one ...

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...XK0I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1305774788&sr=8-3

but truth is I don't know what I'm looking for and what will fit the machine - I'd like to buy from amazon because I have Prime so I can get 2day shipping 'free'

and if you'd like a fun note from this week that's NOT apples fault my 2 year old dropped a book on my mbp trackpad and cracked it - seriously I can't make this stuff up - I have a 27" iMac at the office I'm going to go put it in bubble wrap and packing peanuts tomorrow because I figure its next :)

Stan Mikulenka

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Hi migofast,
please don't buy any of the 'new, improved' HDs (like Hitachi Green "eco-friendly", Seagate PowerTrim "power saving" or WD "GreenPower") if you plan to store music or movies on there.
These HDs are supposed to save energy but in the process doing it screw-up the usability of the hard drive...
The HD you are interested in is firstly 5400RPMs & secondly "green" - which means that it'll park its heads in predetermined intervals (usually 18 ~ 45sec), which can't be disabled (although there are some apps on PC side to change that).
So these HD aren't good for any movie watching or even music listening ~ streaming.
Look for the WD Caviar Black 7200RPM or similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.