Having a difficult time with Win 7/Fusion 3 install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Cave Man, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I have the edu version of Windows 7 64 bit home. I'm using Fusion 3 and am trying to install Windows 7 as a new machine. I'm running from the ISO Win 7 file that I dl'd from here, which is 5.43 gb in size. When I start the new machine process, it begins the installation but then hangs with the following error message:

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm not much of a Windows person.

2. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

OK, I think I ISOlated the problem. The ISO has to be dl'd under Windows (or at least not Safari under OS X). Anyway, I now have a good ISO, but it won't install under Fusion. The Win 7 installer says I need to install over another version of Windows, but I cannot run it under Fusion? Any suggestions?

The VMWare web site is just about the worst I've ever visited. No help at all.

3. macboy4 macrumors regular

If you're using the student version it is supposed to be upgraded, not clean installed, hence, it requires a little tweaking.

Try this: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp