Having a few problems using MSN

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NewMacBookOwner, Mar 2, 2010.

1. NewMacBookOwner macrumors newbie

OK, so I just bought a new MacBook, I have never used an Apple computer before so all of this is new! Haha. Since I'm still used to Windows and everyone I know is still running on that I downloaded MSN. I am having a few problems. When changing the display picture a messege pops up saying the picture is not the correct file. Even with the given pictures, is this just because of MSN being a Windows program?

P.S
    I will probably be posting a lot of "dumb" questions because I'm new and just want to get the best out of this computer :D hehe

2. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Most people on here will just tell you to download and use Adium instead, which connects to MSN and many others. it's a great app. i quite like the mac MSN though (maybe its a fetish..) and that error has never happened to me, you might want to try re-installing MSN, dragging the photo you want to use to the desktop, and also changing the file name if its got a few underscores or something as I've had one or two problems with those not showing.

3. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

MSN for the Mac really does suck. People complain about it all the time on here, and when I used to use it I always had problems with it. Definitely use Adium.

4. NewMacBookOwner thread starter macrumors newbie

cool

Thanks a bunch!!! Yeah windows msn is a fetish for me too lol ill try that other one!... another quick question.... will my webcam work with that ... because as of right now it doesnt work with the windows msn

5. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Nope, webcam doesnt work with mac msn. You might want to try aMSN for that. There's a new version of MSN for Mac with webcam enabled apparently coming this month though...

6. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Yeah, use aMSN for cam, mic etc. I use Adium all the time, then aMSN if I need to do more.

7. NewMacBookOwner thread starter macrumors newbie

tried

Well I just tried the Adium and it works!
    Thanks !!!!