having a few problems with ntfs external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MIKE666, Aug 19, 2011.

1. MIKE666 macrumors regular

hi,

I have a lot of data stored on my external hard drive, i recently upgraded to Lion and since I've been having a few problems.

Basically every time i click eject in finder the computer has a kernel panic, this happens on both my 2011 iMac and 2008 MacBook Pro, both running 10.7.1.

I was using ntfs-3g to write to the hard drive, however i was having problems with this, and as i don't really need to write to the hard drive i just removed the program.

Now i am having problems with data missing from the hard drive.

Before all these problems started my brother used his windows laptop to put some data on the drive, i was thinking that maybe a virus was transferred onto the drive.

If this is the case is there any programs for my Mac that i can use to scan for viruses on the ntfs drive?

Also is there any Mac programs that can regain lost data?, this is for Mac OS Extended Journaled format and ntfs.

Thanks for any help, i will be getting another external drive tomorrow to back up all my data, then i can format the original external drive to Mac OS Extended. I was thinking that this would get rid of the virus if there was one, and if not at least i would have a backup of my data!

Thanks for any help in advance

Mike

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    • To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)(may not work with Lion)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
    • Many have had good results with Paragon (approx $20) (works with Lion)
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    Try Paragon if you want to read/write to NTFS drives with Lion. As for the virus issue, no viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    Unless you connect the drive to a Windows PC, no Windows virus can execute to affect data on the drive. ClamXav is a good free app that you can run on your Mac to scan the drive for both Mac and Windows malware.

3. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

cheers for that mate, you have answered all my questions in one post.