All iPads Having a full size iPad and a Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by carjakester, Jan 14, 2014.

1. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

does anyone own both? if so do you end up using one more than the other or what uses do you use for each.

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

We (my significant other and I) have both.

I usually stay on the mini as like the small form and MacMan loves his full size.

we do iPad'y stuff on them (browsing, email watching videos via Airplay to the Apple TV's). I occasionally read on mine, but since having a Kindle thats rare.

I also use mine for ssh-ing into my mac often to check batch jobs and do backups etc.

We stick to our chosen size really. I don't find the mini lacking for anything I do. I think a 12inch might get my attention though should it ever become reality.

I am pretty sure MacMan would also like that so there could be a fight ;)

3. carjakester, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

:d

4. Markgnyc2 macrumors member

I have an ipad air wifi only and a 1st gen mini with Verizon LTE. The air stays home exclusively. The mini comes to work with me and is my traveling ipad.

5. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I don't see much reason to have both. I was sold on the mini when I had my 3rd gen full size but now I have a full size tablet just as thin and light. I'm not saying the RMini is not good, screen problems not withstanding, but I can't see having both. I think most people will have one or the other.

6. dextr3k macrumors 6502

We have both in our house.

Wife uses the ipad mini for games and videos, and occasional browsing

I use the ipad 4 for reading, videos, and music.

I dont see a reason for 1 person to have both, but having both and you can swap around is definitely a plus because sometimes the wife likes the bigger screen, and sometimes I like the lightweight-ness

7. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

thats what i like i just don't see myself having both of them for myself.

8. dextr3k macrumors 6502

Yeah, it is definitely good to have a choice of what you feel like using. But having them not synced, provides slight annoyances, because my books and games aren't on hers, and she has a different passcode, and stuff like that.

So I think unless you are willing to restore an ipad everynight to keep them synced exactly the same, you will find missing items more annoying than 'that exact moment when I am on the toilet and the mini fits in my hands and is closest to me and I can sit there 1 handed for an hour watching a show while I do duty' is satisfying.

9. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I have both. The Air is used at home and I prefer the bigger screen. The LTE rMini fits in my purse and goes everywhere with me. The Air is light but would have to be carried separately and therefore would not be taken out with me for the most part. It works for me.

10. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Our family as 2 ipad minis and an ipad 2. I prefer my ipad mini because it is really small and portable and i love the look!

11. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

You would love the Air then.

12. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I know- it is just kinda expensive since we just bought 2 more iphones and 2 ipad minis this christmas so maybe next christmas well get the next ipad. Im jealous that I dont have slim sides and a retina screen on the ipad 2 but we have had our ipad 2 since it first came out. And i just love the size and shape of our ipad minis

13. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

1 air, 1 mini, 1 3 gen. I love the air it's still ultra portable.

14. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I have a 1, 3, and an rMini. I bought the rMini mainly for travel, but end up using it at home too.

15. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I can't imagine replacing my iPad Air with a mini but if my iPod Touch 4th gen dies I would be tempted to replace it with a mini.

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Me and my family share both a iPad 3rd gen and a 1st gen mini. I never use the mini unless I'm just screwing around with it to see what it's like. When I really want to use an iPad I use the 3rd gen.

17. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I have the iP4 in a Clam-case Pro that I am using on the couch, as well as using it to write my CookBook on, Just purchased a new iP Mini 2, now that the release of the new ClamCase is imminent. I run Citrus Airport Shuttle, and will test its use in my Van, before putting them into the other 6 vans :cool:

18. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

rMini is the device I take it with me on the go. It's perfect for reading stuff in the subway. However, when I'm at home holding the Air is a much greater experience.

19. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Yeah I agree. I might go for can Rmini once the display issues are worked out. Right now the Air really just does it for me

20. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I tried Marco Arment's image retention test and mine doesn't have the issue. So I kept it. :)

21. owensky macrumors member

We have a couple iPad's thought the house one of which an iPad air and the other a mini. I prefer the size of the mini but the screen is what really won me over on the air. The colours are way more vibrant and ultimately that's why I chose the iPad air over the mini. The nice thing is it's still light enough to take to school every day in a backpack without making it uncomfortable. In the end they are the same device other than the size and screen quality.

22. Davidsr20 macrumors member

The retina display is better on the mini. The colours are over saturated on the air.