Having a hard time getting 10.11 on a (5,3)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kolvir, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Kolvir macrumors newbie

I'm working on a friends Macbook Pro. It was running Mountain Lion.

Hard drive will only boot into recovery mode. Disk utility reports no errors, though I still think the drive is suspect. Old computer, bought several years ago used to begin with. He has a back up, so to make it quick(ha) and easy(double ha), We decided to just do a wipe and install 10.11. Can connect to the internet in recovery mode, but online restore/install gives me and odd error along the line of ,' this operation can not complete at this time'.

I had made a bootable thumb drive with the 10.11 installer on it. It wont boot and when I just try to run the installer when in recovery mode, it gives me an error saying something isn't right with the installer.

OK, so I took out the drive and popped it in my Mac Pro, where it mounts. Already wiped it, should have tried this first, and thought I'll just install 10.11 on it that way. However, I upgraded to 10.12 on my Pro, so when I try to run the 10.11 installer, I get "your operating system is too new for this installer" message; I never get an option to choose a disk to install on.

So how do I get 10.11, or even something older if necessary, onto this drive? We are thinking about ditching the drive and putting in a small SSD, his storage needs are small, but how do I get an OS onto the SSD if we go that route?

My understanding is the Sierra wont run on his model of Macbook Pro, and that isn't a big deal to him at all, he was on Mt. Lion all of this time after all, so I don't need a Sierra hack to run on unsupported systems.

TIA.

2. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

3. Kolvir thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not able to do that, the thumb drive doesn't even show in the startup disks. I can't get it to boot on my Pro either.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Did you insert the USB drive then hold the option key while booting the computer?

5. Kolvir thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes on both systems. I'm looking into redoing the thumb drive, but I can't find a copy of 10.11.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

7. Kolvir thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still stuck, I have no OS on the book, and can't get 10.11 to install it on to the book. No other computer available.

8. Kolvir thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got it to install Mountain Lion from the recovery partition from the 'net, I think it may have failed before because it was the day after Sierra was released; servers might have been overloaded.

I will try the link to 10.11 above, thank you.

9. Kolvir thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got another computer to put 10.11 on, but the above link is now dead. I did use it to fix the other MacBook Pro mentioned.

10. chrfr macrumors 603

If you downloaded El Capitan on one computer, you should now see El Capitan in the "purchased" section of the App Store and you should be able to download it there.