Having a hard time pulling the trigger.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klover, Dec 20, 2011.

1. klover macrumors 6502a

I've been lusting after a 15" MBP for about two months. Currently have an 11.6" MBA, iPad, 4S.

Since the MBA is my main computer - gasp! - I'm understandably feeling the restrictions of 2GB and an aging, low clocked 1.4 Ghz CPU.

I'm just having a heck of a time justifying the $2K pricetag. Refurbs are not offered in this current model so that's a no-go. Older models with the 330M are not sufficient for my casual-average gaming needs.

Financially, I can certainly afford it I'm just looking for some encouragement from anyone else who bit the bullet and has pleasant things to say about thier purchase.

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

What are you gaming on now since the MBA is your main computer?

I don't like big portable computers so I never look at the 15..I go from 13 to Mac Pro..

Realistically it'll be a good way to spend 2k..

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yup get it, no regrets here

4. Sirolway macrumors 6502

hmmm or you could wait until Q1 / Q2 next year to see if Apple release an Ivy Bridge 15" MBA with retina display. ... ok probably not all in the same packet but still - Ivy Bridge = much better graphics ... did someone mention gaming?

And a 15" MBA might be a good combination of power & small size

Sorry ;-)

5. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

If you're gaming, you will need to get a 15" with a dedicated gpu. hence, waiting for ivy bridge isn't a very good argument - the cpu has similar performance to current sandy bridge cpus and the gpu will not be used during gaming anyway. also, it's slated for Q2.
    what you have to look for is what series 7000 radeons may bring, and when.
    I have the current high end MBP and I love it. It plays modern games perfectly fine, with some tweaking.

Now, be aware that I think for your use, the benefits of the extra power will only be enjoyed for gaming. Before this I had an aging core 2 duo MBP, and from day to day use (ie. word, safari etc), I do not notice any benefit whatsoever with this new machine. the extra power is only beneficial to me when gaming/using Logic pro/mainstage.

For you, consider if gaming is worth the $2k.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Early 2011 models are on the refurb store and will easily take care of gaming requirements.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC723LL/A

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I bought a refurb MBP and am very happy. You'll find many Mac users that do the same.

8. Acejam2k macrumors regular

I was in a similar position a few weeks back. Recently moved, and had no more room for my high-end custom built gaming desktop PC. Sold the PC parts off, and was stuck with using my old Dell 13" XPS laptop for a few weeks. I had an Intel SSD in it at the time so it was "quick", but was awful in terms of CPU performance. (Core2Duo 2.2GHz)

I bit the bullet and picked up a high-end 15" MBP, along with a new 256 GB Samsung 830 SSD, and I haven't looked back. This machine is truly awesome, and it's pretty much my first Mac ever. (except for a PowerPC ~15 years ago)

I ended up going with the 15" HighRes AntiGlare screen, due the noticeable glare that is present on the glossy models. The high resolution also creates a bit more screen real estate, so that always helps.

9. aCondor macrumors 6502

We're all going to tell you it is well worth it! ;)

10. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I love my Early 2011 Refurb!

11. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

I would wait ~3 months for the new MBP (which will be awesome).

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

not sure what ~ stands for but its closer to 5 months before the ones

13. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I have an early 2011 that I bought as a refurb and it's great. Nice way to save some cash and still get an excellent computer.

14. Bluedog54 macrumors member

Ditto on the hi-res anti-glare screen... much more available for viewing, even after increasing font size in Safari. Have done side by side comparisons with brothers 15" standard screen and glad I made the right choice, IMHO. Loving my refurbished 15" Early 2011 MBP.

15. Elevon macrumors regular

Another vote for the 15" MBP!
    Sometimes play Starcraft 2 on mine, no problem at all.
    Can handle games in the current market (e.g. Battlefield, Skyrim, etc.) with a little tweaking. =]

16. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

~ = approximately

17. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

definitely worth the price tag. Just got a 2011MBP 15" and love it!

18. Akack macrumors 6502a

15" high end early 2011 MBP are avail refurb.

19. onions macrumors member

the anxiety you feel about whether or not you pull the trigger will immediately turn into excitement once you do.

20. ethics101 macrumors regular

You'll be disappointing with gaming on a MacBook pro.

If I was you, I would sell the 11 air, buy a 13 MacBook air ( $1250), buy an xbox 360 ($200), and a pep vita.