Having a hard time selecting good desktop speakers for iMac.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jmpage2, May 4, 2009.

1. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I'm looking at getting some good quality speakers for my new iMac. My budget is up to about $250.

So far I've auditioned the following speakers;

1. Logitech Z2300. These sounded boomy and mushy to me. They are a good value though at around $150.

2. Bose Companion 3. I like the little hockey puck remote unit. They sounded very weak on mid-range. Surprisingly good low end output though.

3. Audio Engine A2. I really, really, really like these speakers. Until I play something with a lot of low end in them, then they just start farting because they can't handle anything under 100 hertz very well.

What I would really like to do is get the Audio Engine A2 and pair them up with a subwoofer at a later time, but in their short sightedness Audio Engine didn't put line outputs from the A2 so from what I can see there is no way to get them hooked up to a subwoofer.

Does anyone have any futher suggestions to help me make a decision?

Thanks.

2. Moriarty macrumors 6502

Audioengine A5s :D

I have to EQ the bass down on my pair, or else there is too much of it (probably due to the fact I have them placed rather sub-optimally, sitting on a desk next to a wall. Blasphemy!). However the treble was slightly recessed so once that is boosted they sound very good for the price.

Don't know how the A2's bass could sound "farty", because if there isn't any it wouldn't sound like anything.

But the A5s have bass reproduction of (plus/minus) 1.5 dB down to 60 Hz, which is the a very good figure for that size speaker without a dedicated subwoofer. Of course figures like that are relatively meaningless when it comes to sound quality, but I'm perfectly happy with the A5s without a subwoofer.

I'd take farty bass of the A2's over the tubby, inflated bass of crappy Logitech speakers any day.

Audioengine A2s or A5s are definitely your best bet. I love my pair of A5s! IMO the Audioengines are the best computer speakers you can buy in their price ranges. If you could afford to get a sub for the A2s, just have a listen to the A5s, you'll probably find you are quite satisfied with them. If they don't sound quite right, EQ the low-end down a bit and turn the treble up, and they should come to life.

3. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Unfortunately the A5 is too large for my desk. I do read great things about them though.

I found an interesting post on Headfi that supposedly came from Audio Engine and says that the 2nd audio input on the A2 also functions as an output and can be used with a powered subwoofer.

If this is true, then I will probably get the A2 and then connect an affordable subwoofer to them. Costco currently has the Energy-8, which is a pretty nice subwoofer for $179.

The Lars & Ivan Bobos Speakers look a tad too modern for my tastes but I would be interested in how they stack up against the audio engine.

4. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I did ultimately decide to buy the Audio Engine A2 speakers. For anyone else considering these excellent speakers, there is a 10% off coupon currently good on the Audio Engine online store, which will bring the price down to a slightly easier to swallow $179 (w/free shipping).

The Audio Engine website is;

http://www.audioengineusa.com

And the 10% off coupon code is PBC10.