Having A Hard Time w/ New Printer - Canon MP600R

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ::Lisa::, Jul 19, 2008.

1. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Hi all, my first post in ages :eek: I won't go into that, but if you know me and you're intrigued, just drop me a PM lol.

So... I got rid of the Lexmark I was having so many issues with. Why? Because it was unreliable when I needed to print and had communication issues. So I bought a Canon Pixma MP600R Wifi printer after reading good recommendations.

Well guess what? I'm in the bloody well same boat. If anything the Canon is WORSE than the Lexmark. First of all I couldn't set it up as the disk that came with the printer was either for Windows, and the Mac one only did Tiger and didn't work for Leopard. So I downloaded everything I needed and set it up. All went quite well. At the end it measures performance. It said it was good signal etc, except it was unstable. It never advised me on how to make it stable so I didn't know what to do and just left it.

Then I went on holiday for 2 weeks straight after buying it. Come back to what I thought was the great new printer and cannot print anything. Error 306 stating a communication issue. I have to plug it in via USB just to get it to print. Not what I wanted from my wifi printer. After getting annoyed with it I keep running the set-up utility and trying. Now I am getting absolutely no performance measured from it. I don't understand whats going on with it. That's not it though. Afterwards, a box pops up for you to find it over the network then add it. Well it's not going to pop up if there's no performance is it? But then it did for a split second, then went off again, then came up again. So I quickly add it and it works for a bit. Then goes off.

Is this faulty or just unstable? What causes it to be unstable? The scanner won't work at all through wifi (neither if I tell it to scan from the printer, or again through the computer!) I do not have a firewall on. All router stats are fine, channel on router is fine. I just don't understand.

Anyone tell me where I am going wrong? Two printers with the same issue seems a bit dodgy. Maybe it's me? Or maybe I'm unlucky. ANY help greatly appreciated here.

Cheers!!!
    -Lisa

2. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Grasbak macrumors 6502

Sorry - i have been on Holiday - might have been able to help you sooner - I have the same printer!

Maybe you can help me now...... i had scanning working ok either from the printer or from the computer. Once I turned the firewall on in Leopard it no longers scans from the printer.... and ideas?

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

What was wrong, I am having comms. errors on my Epson AcuLaser C900.

5. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought since I have a moment I might as well update this with my resolve procedure....

The actual issue was my router (Linksys WRT54GS), I have no idea why, but it is. The company I bought the printer off (Jigsaw) went as far as to arrange an actual taxi to collect the printer back on the same day and tested it (bless them!)

He got it working and had absolutely no issues that I had. Even on static IP, or DHCP using an Airport Extreme base station. I had sent the printer back with a list of my issues and he tried them all out and had no issues. He suggested either I get my money back (minus an admin fee as the printer was fully working) or have it back. I didn't want to pay an admin fee so I got the printer back (again on a taxi!)

I didn't have another router, so a friend kindly lent me their Netgear one for testing and as guessed the printer worked absolutely fine! Well, I was pissed! They lent me their router until I could get another and I ended up with the 1TB Time Capsule (woo!!!) :D oh and a BT MM hehe!

So, really, that's it... my router was to blame. People were suggesting maybe the Firewall on it, but I had done all that before and no luck. Maybe it was just old and incompatible?

You need the firewall off for it to scan, for some reason. But, yes, I had that issue also. It actually states that the firewall needs to be off for it to scan in the user manual. I installed it with the firewall off and thought I'd be cocky by turning it back on after and allowing those apps to have full incoming/outgoing access, but it's a no go and couldn't be fooled. *shrug*

I cannot help with Epson. I've never had one of their Wifi printers. Sorry.