Having a Nightmare with the iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ri0ku, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

So... I got an iMac 21.5 2.7ghz i5 1TB HDD on december 30th.. had to go to the apple store on the 5th to try and get an exchange because the screen had some problems (the right side of the screen was darker and glitching and flickering)

Well... it took 2 weeks (today) to finally get my replacement... and its making a hideous sound from the HDD which seems to be an issue a lot of people are getting. Its that gurgling noise where the HDD sounds like its seeking but its doing it even when nothing is happening... its irritating and annoying.

the hdd model is : WDC WD1001FALS-403AA0

I don't know what to do.... its taken 2 weeks with terrible customer service to get this replacement and many trips and phone calls to the apple store... do you think I could ring Apple care and get them to do a swap but get them to pick the machine up?

(Never had to deal with Apple care other than to get my macbook pro fixed, which was another annoying ordeal with the apple store but thats another story...)

2. Dpock macrumors member

There were both brand new iMacs, or refurbished older models?

3. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brand new, the first one I got on the 30th of december.

On the 5th of jan I took it to the apple store but they could not exchange it there and then because it was ordered online, so they offered to order me one in and then bring the faulty one back and swap it. That should have took a week and it took 2 and they messed it up, I had to ring them 5 times, 2 times asking for managers that had failed to call me back or get me any info. Eventually one did ring me back and sorted it out and today I took it in and swapped it for a brand new iMac.

I am using the brand new iMac right now and all day its made this horrible gurgling noise. (I know HDD's make noise...and because they are moving parts, but this is that seeking sound when something is loading up but its constantly doing it or its doing it in short bursts every 2 seconds...)

4. Dpock macrumors member

I'd say take it back and try again. My 24' iMac (until it died recently) ran whisper quiet for two and half years.

5. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know it sounds stupid... but I can't be bothered to go back into the shop and deal with them anymore... its been an exhausting time just trying to get the first problem iMac swapped.

I was hoping it might be possible to get them to send me a shipping box and doing it that way instead.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Check your activity monitor. It's probably indexing. These computer can go quite wild with it. Overall the directory system in OSX kind of sucks which can lead to a lot of extra seeking.

7. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its not, this is what I thought at first which made me ignore it. Soon as I checked to see if it wasn't and found it wasn't thats when I thought something was up. Its making that noise even just being on the desktop with nothing open or even moving the cursor.

Whats stranger is, this iMac hasn't started any indexing yet all my previous macs when first started up from new did this, even the last iMac did it.