Having a PC and and Imac on the same screen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thefireboy, Feb 3, 2009.

1. thefireboy macrumors member

Right well i am planning to buy my mates old PC tower and i need to know if it is possible to hook the PC tower up to my iMac screen and run them at the same time but on the imac screen.
    If not does anyone know of anywhere that i can buy cheap but decent screens from?
    Cheers
    Jake

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

No it isn't possible to use the iMac as a monitor for anything other than the mac itself (and in my opinion a fault on Apple's part). For a cheap monitor of decent quality have a look at Dell.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I view that as a benefit! I don't want Windows trashing up a Mac screen. I'm glad it won't work!

4. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I know this isn't really what you're looking to do, but a couple years ago I discovered what is (in my opinion) the coolest thing ever - Synergy. I have my Mac Mini and its 20" LCD connected using Synergy to my PC and its 19" widescreen LCD using my bluetooth KB and mouse from my Mac. The cool thing about Synergy is that its like dual monitors (move the mouse off one edge onto the other screen), except that its two separate computers (and in my case, two separate OS's). You can't move a program or file by dragging between the two, but it does have a shared clipboard so that you can copy and paste text. If you get a second monitor, give it a try - its free and fairly easy to set up. Here's the link if you're interested:

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/