Having a problem getting sound to TV from macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JSmoove05, Jun 29, 2009.

1. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

Hello everyone I have a problem getting sound from my macbook to TV im using mini-display to hdmi to connect the video for sound im using headphone jack to Optical cable but I cant get any sound anyone know what im doing wrong let me know thanks.

2. Blackjack07 macrumors member

Blackjack07

Did you check any settings on the TV? Standard settings might need to be changed?

3. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

Im looking i dont see anything that stands out I thought for sure I would get sound using the headphone jack to optical cable.

4. statik13 macrumors regular

Is the problem with the TV or the Mac?

Unplug the cable from the TV and aim it at the wall or floor. Does it shine a spot of light? If so, then the trouble is the TV, else the trouble is computer settings.

5. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes when I take the optical cable out of the Macbook the cable is red what is the problem?

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Does your TV support taking HDMI AND optical audio on the same "channel." Most TV's only allow certain types of audio to couple with certain video inputs. Have you tried to see if the HDMI pairs with a 3.5" Minijack or RCA plugs? I know on my Samsung, HDMI1 is also labeled "DVI" and has a set of RCA red/white audio plugs to go with the port. I don't recall if the optical-in can be paired with HDMI1/DVI.

7. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a Samsung too I just bought a headphone to rca cable hopefully this works.

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That's how I have my setup.

MDP-->DVI; DVI-->HDMI, and audio over 3.5mm-->RCA hooked upto HDMI/DVI1. Plus, if you're using your TV's speakers, there's no need for optical audio given they're not of high audio quality or 5.1 capability.