iPad mini Having a rethink about the Mini vs rMini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rodster, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yesterday I returned my rMini and since i've had a rethink and asking for thoughts and suggestions. I basically plan on using the Mini 16GB as a portable web reader.

I have an iPad 2 which I love and text quality has never been an issue thanks to Zoom. Since Apple keeps supporting and selling the iPad 2. Is the original Mini in the same boat where we can expect a better than expected shelf life?

I want to repurchase a Mini but now i'm not too sure if I should go original or retina. Thoughts, please:) ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you complained about the performance of the rMini in this thread New rMini Performance Issues I think you'll be further disappointed with the mini.

I have both and found the rMini to have superior performance.

I think the rMini is a great tablet, but the issues you raised in your other thread are most like OS related, i.e., buggy iOS7 and if that is indeed the case, I would expect the mini to be suffering from the same issues.

3. Rodster thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah that was me. Yeah performance is definitely tops on my list. My iPad 2 does really well with iOS 7.0.4 and was hoping the Mini would offer the same level of performance as the iPad 2.

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Had the mini 1 debuted along with the original 2, yes. They would hang out like twins for the same number of years. But the mini 1 had a late start with the same specs. It will likely be retired at the same time as the 2, giving fewer total number of years.

It's about speeding and clarity. Do you need both either or just one? It would also help to know why you returned the rmini.

For example, I'm a power user and found the original mini couldn't keep up with the 10+ Tabs I keep active. 2-3 would be no problem.

5. No-Me macrumors 6502a

I was planning to keep my one year old iPad mini, but got annoyed by how slow it runs iOS7. So I ended up upgrading, I thought the retina wouldn't be a big deal, but man, what a difference! Also in speed the mini and the mini retina are worlds apart.

6. Rodster thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for the info. I just bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro. I know, why? It's different from all my iOS and Android tablets. I think i'm going to wait it out for the Air 2/Mini 2 and see how those specs look.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

the retina mini is a much better device, but i guess if you only plan on using it as a web reader as long as you don't need the retina display, you can save some money and get the original mini.

9. Rodster thread starter macrumors 68040

You guys made good points about the rMini so i'll be getting that. I'll probably wait for the refresh later this year.

10. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

It's only February now. Be prepared to wait until October.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They just refreshed it this past fall, so I wouldn't expect to see anything until 3Q or 4Q 2014. Waiting that long may be ok, for you, as long as you realize you'll be waiting for a long time.