Having a slight dilemma. Which MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by newjacksm, Aug 16, 2012.

1. newjacksm macrumors member

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since you don't mention what you use your machine for it probably doesn't matter in the slightest.

3. donklaus macrumors member

Buy the one you've linked to.

This machine retailed for about $2,600 originally. BTO options include the high-res antiglare screen, higher processor speed, and a 7200 RPM hard drive -- all very desirable even if your computer usage isn't particularly demanding, as they improve system response and usability. Not necessarily required features, but desirable for the user experience and long-term viability. The original price shown is MicroCenter's discontinued merchandise price less the current closeout discount.

I just took advantage of the same offer. Great machine, and I replaced the RAM with 12GB I had on-hand left over from other upgrades. Probably will go to 16 GB if I free up another chip somewhere.

4. isolentmink macrumors newbie

Thanks for sharing

Hi, thanks for starting this thread and sharing. I'm currently in the same boat looking for either a new Retina MBP, or unibody model. I have to say this price on the 2.5gz is very compelling. Might stop by and buy one today. Only question I had is if anyone knows what is the maximum RAM in this model. Is it 8 or 16? Also, I think this i7 2.5ghz is a sandy bridge processor, not the most recent ivy bridge -- not sure how much of a difference that matters...any feedback/advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

5. djestouff macrumors newbie

I bought that 2.5 model from microcenter. so far, so good. 16gb max ram (though Apple specs it to 8gb). There are a couple threads that confirm it can take 16gb.