Having a track with more than one ID3 tag

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iCe Cube, Jul 9, 2007.

1. iCe Cube macrumors regular

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible for an mp3 file to have 2 different ID3 tags. Is there any software available to add another tag to an existing one?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

2. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

I don't think that's possible. But you could duplicate the file and edit the tags.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

Actually it would be possible, because none of the ID3 standards state where the ID3 tag must be located (but usually found near the beginning or the end, depending on the media and the id3 version). However I don't think that's good practice and would cause lots of issues with most id3 tag readers/editing tools/what have you.

you will want to edit the existing id3 tag instead.

4. iCe Cube thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks for the answers :)

I would like to ask something else regarding ID3 tags and iTunes: if you change the artist name, album, genre etc IN ITUNES, does the ID3 tag also get edited? Or is the iTunes editing only superficial?

5. iCe Cube thread starter macrumors regular

anyone got any idea on this?

6. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

Winamp for windows should be still able to do this - they used to show as ID3_1 and ID3_2 in the file info editor, but i dont know if there is something for OSX...

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

From personal experience, but I haven't done this enough to try, I think it's only superficial. I vaguely remember that editing names and stuff were always "forgotten" if I accidentally deleted then re-imported the songs into iTunes, but that was a while ago with an ancient version of iTunes.

Try it yourself.
    id3v1 and v2 are different standards, that's all.

I at one point was implementing an algorithm to read and edit most versions of id3 tags, in the end I gave up (too hard, too different), but I am fairly sure you can have one of the id3v1 and one of the id3v2 tags, but not two of each. Even better that it's only two of each, because v1 usually goes on the end, and v2 usually goes at the beginning.

Even if you use both v1 and v2, there's no guarantee both will be changed, depending on the editor you are using.