Having all my e-mail on the iPhone - possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nubben, May 21, 2009.

1. Nubben macrumors regular

Nubben

Hi all,

I am a subscriber to MobileMe and sync my e-mail wirelessly with my iPhone 3G (up-to-date in terms of software). Online at MobileMe I have 10 folders set up - from "Online Receipts" to "Firends" to "Registrations".

On my Mac I use Mail.app and have several other folders stored locally on my laptop. About 200MB in total.

I know in the iPhone 3.0 update we will be able to search our e-mail from the home screen.

Is there a way to have all my e-mail sync with my iPhone and Mail.app and doing so not using the FW/USB sync mail option in iTunes (under the Data tab)?

Also, is the MobileMe mail I see in Mail.app (not "On my Mac") synced locally so that I can view the mail Offline? That is, in case a MobileMe server would break down and I would lose my mail - do I still have a copy of it on my laptop?

Thanks!

2. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Hi Nubben,
    IMAP email keeps all devices in sync.
    So MobileMe folders should appear the same in Mac Mail - and on the iPhone. Deleting or moving a message on one device is replicated on all the clients. Including the MobileMe web interface.

Even though your mail lives in the cloud, your Mac keeps a local copy of downloaded mails. Your iPhone only keeps the top 50 or so.

iPhone 3.0 will search these *local* mails from Spotlight.
    iPhone 3.0 will also search server-side emails from within the Mail app. (as long as the mails are on an IMAP server that supports search)

The USB syncing in iTunes only syncs the email account details. Not the mails themselves. Mail is not moved via the USB.

OnMyMac emails are local to that computer and are not sharable. If you want to access to those emails on your iPhone - drag them into the cloud, by moving folders onto DotMac.

C.

3. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I have 3 e-mails all attached to my iphone, and they all sync up.

they all get linked to my gmail account

I have a lot of complex fowarding/labeling/sending /receiving rules set up so that they are all "individual", but I can also make global changes.

4. Nubben thread starter macrumors regular

Nubben

Thanks both for your replies.

@Carniphage: So, I would store all my e-mail in the cloud and none in the "On my Mac" - would I still have a backed up copy of the cloud/MobileMe-stored e-mail on my laptop?

Thanks!

5. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Yes, because your Mac Mail client creates a local copy of every mail. You can test this easily:

Unplug your network connection - and search for an old email. Your Mac will find it and you can read it - because it caches all email on the hard-drive. This email mail cache is also backed-up in Time Machine.

If at any time you want to remove emails from the cloud and still retain them, just drag them from MobileMe and into On my Mac.

Similarly if you have older email you want accessible from your phone, drag the mails or the folder into MobileMe. Please note moving 10,000 emails into the cloud might take a few hours. :)

C.