Having an issue w/ GoGo Airplane Internet + MyWi

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by spaceballl, Jan 26, 2011.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

While most people use MyWi to tether a 3G connection to a computer (yes, i do that primarily), I also use it when I travel. On flights with wifi, gogo is cheaper on an iPhone than it is on a computer. I buy it on my iPhone, and then I tether my iPhone's wifi connection to my MacBook. On my last 3 flights, it hasn't worked... In Network Preferences, it shows the Green dot, saying i'm connected, but it doesn't seem to work. Is GoGo becoming wiser and somehow blocking this?

I had a flight last week on Tuesday and another on Friday. In my Thursday in between, I went to Starbucks, and I used the same technique w/ the ATT wifi there, and it worked without issue. So I'm not sure what the problem is... has anyone else encountered this? It used to work! I tried it over USB + Bluetooth - neither worked. both flights.

2. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

I'm having the same issue. I think that it happened when I upgraded MyWi to 4.51.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Just wanted to update this thread and let everyone know that the issue seems fixed on the most recent version of MyWi. I had two flights w/ internet this week, and I tethered through my phone on both of them without issue!

4. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Just spoof the UserAgent string on your laptop browser to make it look like an iPhone. Much simpler. ;)

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

But then you only get one device online instead of two! I prefer this method. When the food comes out, I can put the laptop away and still have my iPhone connected.

6. ogbza macrumors newbie

Mywi in flight?

Can anyone add more info to this? I'm on a gogo in flight network right now and am trying to use mywi to share the connection with my iPad. But when I create the hotspot, my iPhone joins the new hot spot network and losses the internet connection from the gogo wifi.

7. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Did you ever get it figured out? I travel a lot for work, and I've had about 6 GoGo flights in the past month, and they've all worked perfectly w/ MyWi on my iPhone....

8. ogbza macrumors newbie

Nope, as soon as I set up the hotspot in mywi on the iPhone, the iPhone would lose it's Internet connection. It suggested the "cycling airplane mode" a few times but it never worked. Tried it in both airplane mode and non airplane mode with 3G turned off. On 4.3.3 with 4.61.1 mywi. Also, I was using Wep security.

It sounds like yours is working, so it is ateast possible to have your phone on two wifi networks at once. Right?

9. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I don't usually set up a wifi hotspot on the plane, but i've tried it once and it worked - I usually connect w/ my phone to get the cheaper internet package, and then i'll tether that to my computer - that way i have two devices online at the same time.