Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jersey10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
I know that the Apple TV needs to have the host computer on in order to sync content. That is a problem because my computer is usually kept in sleep mode, meaning that anytime I want to sync content I have to go upstairs to the computer and wake it up first - a big pain.

But I was thinking - what if I were to actually connect the Apple TV to my iMac via the ethernet cable (rather than syncing wirelessly). Under the arrangement, wouldn't my iMac wake up whenever I accessed the Apple TV? The same as how if you have an iPod connected to your computer and everything is in sleep mode, the computer will wake up once you turn on the iPod? At least this is how I think things work with the iPod. If so, why wouldn't it work the same if the Apple TV were connected via Ethernet?

Let me know. Thanks.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Ethernet and USB are different beasts. Although if the upstairs Mac and Apple TV both supported WOL (Wake-On-LAN), then I guess it's theoretically possible.

You can enable WOL on your iMac by going to Energy Saver -> Options -> Wake Options. However, I doubt the Apple TV has such a capability enabled.

Are you going to connect it directly? Or via a switch or hub?

Edit: Interesting article to do what you describe (sorta) via Remote Desktop and a notebook.

http://www.innerexception.com/2007/05/buying-content-for-apple-tv-from-your.html

jersey10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
The iMac is in the room directly above the room where I have the Apple TV - so it would not need to be that long an Ethernet cable. And my plan was to connect them (the Apple TV and the iMac) directly via the Ethernet cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.