Price Advice Having buying issues

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CatherineVeraGat, May 19, 2017.

1. CatherineVeraGat, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

CatherineVeraGat macrumors member

I went to Best Buy today to check out the Macbook Pros and other Devices. I just think that the new Macbook Pros is a couple of hundred dollars overpriced. I think the TouchBar isn't really that useful, so the entry level MBP would be fine without TouchBar. Then I went over to the 12 inch Macbook and the keyboard just isn't for me. I like that it is light, slim, and powerful enough to do some basic tasks. But I would like to do some heavy tasks from time to time such as working in Photoshop, Illustrator, a program that can render images (Like Blender) and a architecture floor plan program.

I tried out the iMacs but the 21.5" without the Rentia display seems too outdated, the 27 inch with Rentia display is way too big. The 21.5" with Rentia display can work for me.

The iPad Pros is over priced, it has an "limited" OS that I would want to do some Real Photoshop things instead of the crappy $7.99 Photoshop-like app such as ProCreate. And I would like to use the other programs that was mentioned above. And the Apple Keyboard isn't for me. An extra $149 to add to the entry-level 32GB iPad Pro that costs $799.

I'm coming from a Windows laptop. I'm tried of dealing with Windows laptops. I would like to jump on the Apple Ship and have some devices from Apple's ecosystem. I don't know know what is the best product to buy for my uses. The MacOS is great but their is some issues such as Closing, making the page go back down into the dock, and expanding the page to the full size of the screen and some other things like that. Settings is weird for me and the dock at the top of the screen is ok but not the best on MacOS. I do understand that it may take some time to get used to MacOS that I don't currently use.

I was thinking why not save some money and go with an Mac Mini ($499 entry-level) where I can keep it on my desk, but I will have to buy a monitor, keyboard and a mouse. I will buy the newer version once it comes out this summer or in the late part of the year if this is the best option for me.

I look into the Chromebooks. And it's really isn't for me. I look at tablets that has a keyboard case that hatch onto the device. It really isn't the type of device that I'm looking for. I'm more thinking about a laptop, or Mac Mini or any suggestions that I think that might work. My uses for the device is working in Photoshop, Illustrator, Word, an architecture floor plan program, browsing the web and a program that can render images (Like Blender). Maybe doing some light video editing in the future.

I would want at least 256GB of onboard storage, but 512GB would be better. At least 8GB of memory, an Intel i-series processor like the i3, i5, i7 series processors (Would want it to be the lastest processor if possible). With this device I would want to carry it around with me (it would be greatly appreciated, but not a deal-braker.) With an Mac Mini I obversely can't. I would want it to be light-weight, slim, but powerful device to do the things that I want it to do. My budget is $2,500. Please tell me what device would be best for me to use?

I'm sorry that this was a long article to read.

2. bluespark macrumors 65816

You want the MacBook Pro. Because you think it's too expensive (I agree), consider buying from Apple's refurb store (highly recommended), looking for a deal at an authorized vendor such as Best Buy, or waiting until new ones come out, at which point prices on the current ones will drop.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well people are expecting Apple to reduce the price of the MPBs with the next refresh (some are hoping that will occur at WWDC).

I agree that the MBPs are too expensive and Apple is pricing me out of their products.

4. TechRunner macrumors newbie

TechRunner

+1 for the Apple Refurb store. A 2015 refurb 15" MBP can be had right now for $1699, and comes with the same warranty as a new one. I've purchased several items from there, and all have been a great alternative to the full-price Apple universe. My two cents...

5. bluespark, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017

bluespark macrumors 65816

It's a real problem. I need a new computer and was in the Apple Store just the other day with plenty of money to buy a new MBP. I just couldn't pull the trigger at that price, though.

6. CatherineVeraGat thread starter macrumors member

I understand.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Whatever you do, DON'T buy the cheapest Mac Mini. It's ridiculously underpowered and the internal 5400 hard drive makes it slow. You won't like it.

If you're looking to "get into Mac", you might consider the 2015 (not the 2016) MacBook Pro 13". These remain highly-functional MacBooks, and coming from the PC side I reckon that you'll appreciate the "legacy ports" on it.

Do get the 256gb version, the 128gb drive won't be large enough over time.

I wouldn't consider any iPad. They use iOS (NOT the "Mac OS"). It's somewhat different, there's no real "file system" per se. I can only speak for myself, but I need a real keyboard and the ability to create folders and have multiple windows open at once. You can't do this in iOS.

Again, if you want a "first Mac", you won't go wrong with the 2015 MacBook Pro.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

9. JamesPDX macrumors 6502a

JamesPDX

If buying the 2016. Be sure to budget for dongles-n-docks. Seriously.