Having data doubler installed an issue for warranty repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockinrocker, Jan 3, 2014.

1. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

So the speakers in my 2011MBP have started sounding really distorted all the time (even at low volumes) so I think I need to take it in to the "genius" bar.

I replaced the DVD drive with a SSD using the OWC data doubler a while ago. I don't think that should have anything to do with the issue with the speakers- but will that void my applecare?

I suppose I can swap the drive again if I need to, but would rather not, of course…

Thanks

2. jahall05 macrumors regular

I thought in order to make the CD drive a hard drive caddy you had to remove the speaker wires. If that is the case, then Apple can make the case that the removal of those wires has caused the issue and not cover the repair.

If that is the case and you did remove the speaker wires to do the upgrade, go back in and make sure they are secure as a loose speaker wire could do what you are describing.

3. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Switching the drives in a 2011 doesn't require doing anything to the speaker wires.

I guess it's possible that something happened to them anyway, but it seems unlikely that that's the problem since I installed the second drive months ago and this problem just started recently.

Either way I guess I could just check the connections.

4. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

When an ACMT (Apple Certified Macintosh Technician) working for an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) performs an upgrade (the data doubler in this example) AppleCare remains fully intact except for the removed/replaced component, though it's assumed that the new component will have a separate warranty of it's own from it's manufacturer. However, when a non user installable part, such as an optical drive, is replaced by a non ACMT Apple has every right to assume the upgrade/repair was not performed properly since the person has not completed the training/tests Apple provides to ensure they know and follow Apple's repair guidelines. This is the instance where they can (and often will) deny warranty coverage. Typically though I wouldn't expect a Genius/AppleCare rep to even bring it up unless the failure is within the same area as the upgrade/repair.

Basically, if you can provide a receipt showing the repair/upgrade was performed by a recognized AASP then you have nothing to worry about. If you performed the upgrade yourself and it's in the same vicinity as the suspected failure then you might take the time to reinstall the original components.

edit:
    Just to clarify, the only installable components that come to mind are the hard drive & RAM in MacBook Pros. All other components would be considered non-user replaceable by Apple/AppleCare.

Something to check too would be software. Try booting to a recovery disk or secondary OS and playing sound. I've seen corrupted software cause sound distortion several times. Probably still a hardware failure but one more quick check that could maybe save a trip to Apple.

5. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Yeah, I was afraid of something like that.

Maybe I'll go to a certified 3rd party repair place I've used before- they're usually pretty cool.

6. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I should've mentioned that as well. Having worked several years on both sides of the bench I can confidently say that AASPs are supposed to conform to the same standards but more often than not they tend to be more down to earth. Just mention that you installed this and took proper ESD precautions, I'd imagine that would be more than enough for them to look the other way.

7. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Sounds reasonable.

Thanks for the detailed response.