Having disk partition problems here!! Help plz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jwroycechoi, Aug 1, 2014.

1. jwroycechoi, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014

jwroycechoi macrumors newbie

I got the email from Apple saying that i was chosen one of the public beta tester of OS X Yosemite, just in case i set up a new partition to install this beta version.
    But after installing the OS in new partition, i tried to go back to my previous Mavericks settings by pressing on 'option' key while rebooting, and saw that the disk did not exist. Frustrated, but i managed to find the original disk in the booting disk selection corner in the System Preference panels. So i just decided to install Yosemite in the original disk and wipe out the additional partition that i created.
    HOWEVER!!! i cannot delete this partition now. Don't have a clue why, but when i go into my disk utility, i see this image.

1. the '-' button is not active
    2. I am guessing that i need help on how to delete the logical volume group "OS X Yosemite" in the picture

Need help from u guys! How can i delete the logical volume group???

Attached Files:

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

no picture is attached

3. jwroycechoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for that, i re-attached the photo :)

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

You are currently in Yosemite and you are trying to tell it to delete itself. It can't. Boot into the restore partition and do it from there.

5. jwroycechoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thxs for your reply,
    Currently i'm using "Macintosh HD" and the "OS X Yosemite" volume is the one i made up to install the new OS
    Unfortunately, I tried the restore partition, and tried the disk utility there, but couldn't do it :(

6. chrisrand macrumors member

Easy fix

I know this is an old article, but this recently happened to me and the easiest way to get rid of the Yosemite partition is to:

1) Boot your other OS, mine was Mavericks
    2) Open Disk Utility
    3) Select the Yosemite partition
    4) Select the erase tab, erase it
    5) Select the main drive and go to the partition tab, where you can then delete the Yosemite partition and resize it back to the original size.

Hope that helps!