Having Fios installed next week

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puckhead193, Sep 12, 2014.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

So i'm ditching Cablevision in favor of Fios. I'm tired of the crappy internet. I need to upload large files for work and I'm done having it take hours.

For those that have switched, how was the install? How long did it take? What goes into it. I know they hook up some box thing on the the outside of your house and run the fiber across your lawn. Then they install a battery backup.
    (I've heard if you have a generator you can have your Fios run off that still have TV/internet and phone despite not having power.)

Do they use the same co-axe cables that are installed from Cable? The connection from outside to my house for cable is near my front door, is Fios going to use that line and hence the box that goes on the outside be put there?

For those that have or had it, what are your thoughts on it?

I'm sure I'll have not the questions but this should get the ball rolling :p

I signed up for the Ultimate tv and the 150/150 net :D

2. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Very good decision. Internet speeds are amazing.

3. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

You'll like it. I have 75/75. Picture is good, a lil softer than when I had directv.

4. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I had Verizon FiOS in Tampa. So fast that I was happy with the 30/30 package. Pages would load so fast that by the time I clicked the next url favorite in my bar, that page would have loaded. There's zero wait time between pages.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Would love to drop Cablevision for Fios but Cablevision's wifi, which is everywhere, keeps me with them.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah optimum wifi is an amazing perk. I actually have optimum wifi at my house and I don't even know why because I live on a sleepy suburban street.

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I believe Fios can take up to a few hours for new installs, it depends on how much they need to install around the house.

Inside the house, they use coax just like cable-we have Fios and from an end user perspective it looks the same in terms of hardware. But our internet is pretty consistently fast, and we locked in a pretty amazing two year deal (HDTV+quantum internet for 90ish with taxes-one cable box and we skipped the DVR but still).

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

You are so lucky you can get fios! I cant. I'm stuck with 2.8/.7

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wish Fios was available in my area but for some reason Verizon is not interested in bringing it to Boston, or that the city of Boston is not really wanting to help them.

Not hugely surprising since Boston is 384 years old, its infrastructure is so old that it would be excessively expensive, regardless it means I'm out of luck :(

10. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

The Wifi is ok. I never really use it except if I'm at The Garden for Ranger games. When I try to use it during the intermissions its jammed with people. I heard something that Fios is going to have something with its celluar service if you have Fios that it will be Wifi, but then what's the point of having a data plan :confused:

I am going to miss News 12 a bit. For Sandy their coverage was good (once my cable did come back, after a week) The traffic and weather is now a joke. They cut money from it so the traffic during the day is pointless I can look at google maps for it.

11. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I've had FiOS for about 5 years now and it's great. I have the 75/75 package. The speeds are so consistent and it's probably only gone down a handful of times since I got it. I like the fact that they increased the upload speeds to match the download. Upgrading/downgrading your speed is also easy; no technician required or any other input from you.

The install probably takes an hour, the technician had to tend to a lot of wires. Basically, there's like a thin cable that comes from the electrical pole into the box outside. A coax cable is then coming out of the box and into your house through a drilled hole. The cable then connects to the modem/router they give you. The battery back-up is another a box installed inside your home. I finally had to change the battery after 4 years; Verizon doesn't give you a replacement battery, you have to buy it on your own. They also gave me a surge protector that just connected to the electrical socket and the boxes are plugged there.