HAVING HUGE PROBLEMS with disk utility

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jazzupyourazz, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Jazzupyourazz macrumors newbie

Hi everybody.

So, I'm having huge problems. It all started off when I installed windows 7 on my mac via bootcamp. It worked, but somehow Leopard didn't recognize the windows partition, and that all ended up in even more trouble, so I ended up reinstalling Leopard, thereby erasing everything on my hard drive.

I have now reinstalled leopard, but somehow, Disk Utility can not start, everytime I open it, it says it had stopped working and that I can send an error report. Damn! I just need Disk Utility to recover my drive, so that bootcamp can make the partition, but it doesn't work! Can someone help me?

And another problem; when I install Win XP on my bootcamp partition, it runs the setup nicely, but then it needs to restart. A black screen pops up with the letters: press any key to boot from CD. When I ignore that (because that will only lead me to the setup that I already went trough), 'DISK ERROR' pops up and I need to restart, leaving me in the half of a windows-setup with nowhere to go.

Please! I'm having major issues here and I really need to fix it!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Several questions for you:

1. Are you booted from the install DVD or your hard drive, when trying to launch Disk Utility and failing?
    2. What do you mean, recover your drive? If you wiped the partition table clean, you don't need to do anything in Disk Utility to prepare the Mac for Boot Camp. The Boot Camp Assistant does this part for you.
    3. Are you sure you're following the directions correctly in Windows Setup? 99% of the time, the Disk Error message you're getting is caused by trying to leave the Windows partition as is instead of formatting it to FAT32 or NTFS - this required step is explained in the Boot Camp setup guide.

3. Jazzupyourazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi. Yeah,

1.Disk utility won't boot from mac os X itself. It does boot, however, from the install DVD.

2. Yes, I thought the exact same thing, untill I launched Boot Camp just after installing Leopard again. BC said I had to recover my volume first. I was like wtf, as my HDD is partitioned to 1 volume, as MAC OS JOURNALED. So, I launched Disk Utility from the install dvd (as it doesn't work without) and recovered my drive. And then, finally, Boot Camp was able to create the partition.

3. I might have to check on that, but doesn't Boot Camp already make the partition in FAT32? Because in the windows setup it says so. But let's say its not, and I'd have to change the format in Windows Setup, how do I do that?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

1. That's odd. Several things could be causing this. My advice to you is to look at the crash log generated, in Console.
    2. It wouldn't have mattered, as you can't "recover the drive" as you put it while booted into Mac OS X from that same drive.
    3. This is true - BUT the format the Boot Camp Assistant puts on the drive is NOT bootable by Windows! You must reformat it from within Windows first. Like I said, the setup guide you can print from within the Boot Camp Assistant explains this process, complete with screenshots. I highly recommend that you print the guide and read it over.