Having installation issues for Windows 7 SOS

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Agentdash, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Agentdash macrumors newbie

So I am a college student and have downloaded my windows 7 onto my iMac via a USB drive and have partitioned my drive. The issue is I can't load from the USB drive and when I burned it to a DVD-R but when trying to install it the screen says, "can't locate BOOTMGR file" well I can see that file on the cd and the USB drive. What can I do? I really need windows up and running for video games and projects. Thank you

2. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I'm a little confused about what it is, exactly, that you have done.

You have partitioned your Mac with Bootcamp?

You've installed your Windows media from a source with a valid activation code?

And then you've tried to restore your settings and files from a backup that you've put onto a USB flash drive?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

George, the student deal is delivered as either an ISO or an EXE/BOX which can be installed on Windows machines via USB this is where the OP has trouble.

Check out the thread on installing Windows without the SuperDrive. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=601414 You have two options to go from ISO to Boot Camp install if you can't get the DVD to work.

1) Copy the contents of the ISO to a throwaway partition on the internal drive (you will later merge this with the Boot Camp partition)

2) Use Parallels/VMWare to do the first pass of the install to the Boot Camp partition then reboot and let it finish the job.

B