having iphone sync issues today?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theotherguy, May 20, 2008.

1. theotherguy macrumors member

Mine is stuck on a perpetual sync when I'm connected to the internet but syncs fine when I disconnect from the internet. I was just told by the Mountain Dew chugging, D&D enthusiast, Black Reebok wearing nerd patrol (aka I.T. -[i kid i kid]- :D) that part of the sync process can involve a check w/itunes for some reason. And since I'm posting online, I'm assuming my internet connections is A+.

The wife had the same problem this morning on her phone before leaving for work, and although she just unplugged the unit before it "finished" -it did sync and upload her morning podcast.

Anyone having the same problem? Mine has it stuck on syncing contacts when the issue happens. If it keeps up, I'll reinstall the phone software later.

PS. I'm not jailbroken or anything fancy, just plain 'ol boring iphone.

2. neven macrumors 6502a

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Yes, not being able to contact Apple when your internet connection is active can be a problem when syncing. There was a really bad incident like this over New Years when that Apple server went down and nobody could sync. Perhaps a server between you and Apple is having issues today. Just turn off your internet (disable airport and pull the ethernet cable) and try again. If you still have an issue in a few days then start to investigate.

4. camarobh macrumors 6502

Mac?

Are you using a Mac? I noticed on mine (I use a iMac for iTunes and a Macbook Air) when the keychains are syncing via .Mac while I am syncing the iPhone I have to minimize iTunes, accept the keychain sync, and then all is good.

5. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I had a similar issue to what camarobh had, but I don't use .mac. In my case my Bookmarks were syncing and a window popped up behind itunes that asked if I wanted to accept the changes. I never saw the window, since it was behind iTunes, and thought the sync got stuck. For some reason, minimizing iTunes minimized this window as well, so I never saw it. When I tried to resync it would hang up immediately (on contact syncing I think). Finally, randomly, I found the bookmarks confirmation window, checked it, then it synced fine. Maybe you have a hidden window behind iTunes. Try pushing "Apple + `" while in iTunes to see if you have it. This wouldn't explain why internet would affect the sync I know, but it seems worth a try.

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I've been having this same problem for the last week or so, at least. I get stuck on "Syncing Contacts" until I disconnect the ethernet cable and try syncing again. Then it goes fine. What is the deal? Why on earth would iTunes have to check with the Apple servers in order for me to sync my contacts?