Having issues Hope I didnt trash my HD? Can You Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dorfdad, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2007
    Been a Mac user for 3 years now NEVER had one problem that I needed to repair but today I noticed my machine acting slow I had to Command alt esc a few time and stop some apps that were hanging me up.

One time nothing happened so I shut it down (Hard) and than upon rebooting I was greeted with a progress bar along the bottom for about 3 mins and it just stopped. I rebooted again same thing except no bar this time

I than tried Option S I thin (Single user mode) and got a command line and was able to see my user folders I did an LD Desktop and verified my files were there so I rebooted again and nothing.

Did this about 10 times tried booting into OSX install disk but the the option for repair verify HD were greyed out.

I booted into an external OSX partition I had on a USB drive and am typing this right now while I am trying to run a Disk Utility (Verify and repair has been about 30 mins and its says its running but I dunno)

Does anyone know a way for me to get a few files off the drive? I think by turning off the system when it was frozen I corrupted the HD partition or something. I don't mind formatting and reinstalling but ther are a few little files and some concert tickets on the desktop I would like to backup..

Any Advise?

Thanks in advance!
  2. skh macrumors member

Dec 23, 2009
    you could always try putting the drive in an enclosure if you're positive you can't boot from it
  3. Dorfdad thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2007
    Well I spent about 4 hours last night trying to fix it. Ran diskwarrior, Zeroed out the drive etc.. Was able to get it to boot finally but it was slower and acting wanky.. So I decided to grow a pair and replace the HD myself (i have some skills) I have it apart now I need to go grab a new HD and see what happens

It seems the HDD was dying and had bad sectors all over the place!

4. Dorfdad thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2007
    yeah thanks I read that last night nothing helped. The Drive itself is bad.. Cant fix that. Im heading to Best Buy they have a 500gb SATA2 32cache WD (green) for 49.99

Is there anything special I need to do besides put it in and have osx partition it etc? I know on PC we fdisk and format etc do I need to do anything like that on MAC?
  5. Hellhammer Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Just put it in and and boot from install disk and it should format it to HFS+. If not, then open Disk Utility from Menu Bar and format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)