Having issues with all updates starting with Lion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mailliwwilliam, Oct 13, 2011.

1. mailliwwilliam macrumors newbie

In the past year I've jumped on the Apple bandwagon and purchased almost every device Apple makes (iMac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Airport Extreme, iPod's)

I've been extremely happy with everything, but the iMac has been giving me problems with every update I've tried to do.

Beginning with Lion, during the install it crashed the Mac to the grey screen with the Apple Logo, crossed out folder, and a question mark repeating over and over. Ended up having to back up to Snow Leopard/Time Machine to reinstall.

Purchased iPhone 4, attempted to update to 4.xx, and the phone crashed into recovery mode. Each time I got an error (14) and ended up using a Windows laptop to recover and install the update without fail.

Purchased iPad, tried to update via iTunes, got the same problem above. Used Windows laptop to recover and update.

Last night, tried to update to iOS5 on the iPhone same thing--error 14--crashed into recovery, Windows laptop to recover and update.

Tried to install 10.7.2 it failed to install as well.

Anyone know what's going on here. I want to take the iMac to the Apple Store but that's a 200 mile round trip.

I know Apple's servers were swamped last night, but I was able to update with ease on the Windows machine, and with the previous problems I can't help but think there's something going wrong with the Mac. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The only thing I've done to the Mac is added RAM to 12GB.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Sounds like it could be bad RAM or a bad hard drive on the iMac.

Depending on the iMac, this may or may not work, but try burning an ISO of memtest and boot from it. Let it run overnight.

http://memtest.org/#downiso

3. mailliwwilliam thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed

Detrius,

Yep, you were right. I removed the ram and all is well. I guess that is what I get buying the ram from a sub vendor through Amazon.

Thanks!